G-518 Ben Hur trailer hub question

I was lucky/unlucky enough (???) to acquire a G-518 military trailer, also referred to as a Ben Hur, but this one is a real ex-mil G-518.

Right now it has the original 7.50-20 tires on some odd 6-lug configuration. The lug nuts are reverse thread and ~3/4" diam. The hubs these are mounted on are ridiculously long and have a drum brake set-up that then mounts to the end of the square axle. The mounting flange on the end of the axle appears to be ~3-3.5" diam with a 5-lug set-up where the lugs are small, in the 7/16" or 1/2" size.

Ideally I'd like to just have some common/standard hubs mounted up so I can run common/cheap wheels & tires - though they'd have to be in the 35"-37" diameter to fit.

At any rate, I'm not familiar at all with this stuff and am slowly tearing down to get to the end of the axle to see what I have to start with, but does anyone know or have experience retro-fitting on an old ex-mil spec trailer like this?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Attachments

• side hub.JPG
    side hub.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 7
  • back hub.JPG
    back hub.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 8
  • front hub.JPG
    front hub.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

frgtwn

Adventurer
As always, Mike, you're leading the pack. And I'm ignorant as ever.

However, why not just weld up some skis on that sucker and pull it around the pasture? The kids'll love it. Throw in some hay, S'mores makin's, the whole family, and pull it with the tractor.

I sure hope the next posts actually help.

Bro Dale

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz