Pacific Northwest M101a2 Build Project

koolex11

Observer
You know a lot of people are looking to shed weight off these trailers. I was thinking that the tailgate is probably a hundred pounds or more and could be removed, especially for those planning rtt. I think a much lighter door system (or a lightweight tailgate) would work just as well, without the added weight. I'm always thinking double duty, so a gate that could be easily removed and used as a table would be very beneficial to my campsite. I know they are great as a table while on the trailer, but I would also want the first option based on number of people etc.

Anyway, food for thought.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Aluminum, Make the tailgate out of a flat sheet of aluminum framed with 1 x 1 square stock with a couple
stiffeners in the middle.

Last edited:

upcountry

Explorer
If that doesnt work let me knowv I know where there is a scale down by the west seattle bridge that is just sitting next to a building. I've driven on it many times, but never tried to drop a trailer on it, but im sure you could pop your head in and ask or just go for it. I've never seen anyone actually using it.

I may do that, I went by the King County Transfer Station this past Saturday, and they were not very receptive to the idea. But, I think they were just grouchy that they were working on such a nice day. Plus, they had a long line. I was just dumping yard stuff in the compost bins.

Last edited:

upcountry

Explorer
Looks great! That underside is no fun, but it feels good when it's done! Nice reinforcement on the channel.

I asked my cousin to weld it for me and he refused to do it without the gusset to support the top of the hitch channel. It was done as a favor, and I want more favors later (maybe a rack?), so I was only trying to get it done with the minimum time spent!

koolex11

Observer
I asked my cousin to weld it for me and he refused to do it without the gusset to support the top of the hitch channel. It was done as a favor, and I want more favors later (maybe a rack?), so I was only trying to get it done with the minimum time spent!

Hmmm. Makes me think I might need a gusset on the bottom of mine...

upcountry

Explorer
IMG046.jpg

IMG042.jpg

IMG051_2.jpg

IMG047.jpg

IMG045.jpg

Added some LED taillights, with license plate brackett, added mudflaps, and new tailgate chains. Also added a wiring harness, and finished the hitch. License plate soon. New axle on order."

Attachments

• IMG052_2.jpg
    IMG052_2.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG048.jpg
    IMG048.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG050.jpg
    IMG050.jpg
    371.4 KB · Views: 31

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
upcountry:

Looking sharp, I like all the mods you did!
Mud flaps these trailers do sit high, and the lay flat tailgate chains work perfect with the quick links.
I am going to bend a pair of 1/2" solid rod tailgate stays to use when camping.
Like the ones pictured.

Attachments

• image_php6.jpg
    image_php6.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 119

upcountry

Explorer
IMG053.jpg

Shot from the back showing mudflaps and new tail lights.

Next comes new axle with trailer brake and breakaway kit, new shocks, and new 16 x8 black steel wheels with 285/75/16's.

Then tongue box with battery and solar panel.

Then I need to fit a lid and mount a 2 inch receiver for a mtn bike rack.

upcountry

Explorer
upcountry:

Looking sharp, I like all the mods you did!
Mud flaps these trailers do sit high, and the lay flat tailgate chains work perfect with the quick links.
I am going to bend a pair of 1/2" solid rod tailgate stays to use when camping.
Like the ones pictured.

It would be nice to use a an adjistable rod that has a male amd female threaded section and that way ypu can adjust it to be the exact length!

upcountry

Explorer
We were jist talking about making a Baja trip in April. Looks like I have a deadline if ski does not turn out to be epic......been about 12 years since I rolled on the autopista. Si se peudes........claro!

upcountry

Explorer
Been following your build. It looks great. Inspired me to bid on one. I pick it up Tuesday 10/18.

Hows the build going? Mine is now on the road registered with plates and I have the title.

My conclusion is it is too big for trails, but GREAT for firewood cutting, forest service roads, and hauling gravel and other stuff. I like it, but am not going to pursue a massive change to it.

I think I am going the way of a Flippac for my Tacoma instead!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles