New M101A2 expo trailer build

brussum

Adventurer
Okay, now that we've gotten settled in Virginia after a big move from Alaska and now that winter is setting in, it's time to revisit my trailer project. We used it for camping along the road from Alaska to the East Coast and made a few local trips in and around Virginia. It was a great opportunity to see what gear we use to prepare food and how to configure the trailer for the future. I've laid out a plan for building drawers and a pull-out stove and fridge at the rear, using the tailgate as a countertop. I'll probably rig some lights on the back and intend to install a water tank between the wheel wells. So, the big questions are:

-Does anyone have a good source for ball-bearing drawer glides? I was looking at some 48inch glides online last night, but the cheapest ones I found are about $120/pair. I can probably reduce the length a little, but the glides are still expensive. Looking for something like at this website: http://www.thehardwarehut.com/cabinet_drawer_slides-sidemount.php

-Any recommendations for a water tank source? Looking for a plastic type of unit that can fit between my wheel wells (approx. 45in x 18in x 18in dimensions). That's a lot of water, so I'm thinking a shorter tank (36-40 inches) would give me room to mount a 12V pump and all the valves/hoses on one end of the tank.

Thanks in advance for the help. I'm looking forward to getting re-energized on this project and posting some updates.

John

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I went with a poly tank off ebay, I made a cradle to remove it in winter and when I needed to haul with the trailer.
Steel angle Iron frame with a pump mount plate and a hose bib on the side of the tub. It is held in with nylon web straps and footmans
loops bolted to the floor. works good for my needs.

Attachments

• LVwatertank_30gal1.gif
    LVwatertank_30gal1.gif
    89.2 KB · Views: 557
  • IMG_0637.JPG
    IMG_0637.JPG
    22 KB · Views: 560
  • IMG_0679.jpg
    IMG_0679.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 564
  • IMG_0681.jpg
    IMG_0681.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 562
  • DSC07104.JPG
    DSC07104.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 565
I went with a 42 gallon tank off eBay, fits nicely between the wheel wells. I think I'm going to move it further forward though, to increase the tongue weight a little more.
I bought a RV tank fill door off eBay as well, to make the tank easy to fill.

Dave

brussum

Adventurer
Latest and greatest update:

After moving from Alaska to Virginia, I've learned I have more time and space to work on my little trailer. Thanks to the guys on this forum and on IH8MUD for some great ideas for a galley. I finally constructed my M101A2 tailgate kitchen using birch plywood, some industrial drawer guides, and lots of screws and glue. Basically, I have a flat drawer on the far left that will accomodate a small Engel fridge (yet to be purchased). Then, I have my gas stove on a bottom drawer in the center unit, with two other drawers to hold a myriad of food, cookware, etc. The center unit drawers are all 48-inches deep with 36-inch drawer glides. That takes the center unit to about midway between the wheel wells. On the far right, I have a small drawer unit. Both that small drawer unit and the fridge box are about 24-inches deep and butt up against the wheel well. The left, center, and right boxes are independently constructed to make removal/install easier, but the plan is to bolt them together and to the trailer floor.

The final touch was to add some aluminum 3/4 x 3/4 pieces to protect the rough edge of the plywood from future damage. I think it gives a nice finishing touch as well.

Hopefully, the attached pictures really are worth a thousand words.

Overall, this has been a great project and was fantastic practice for building similar boxes in the back of my Land Cruiser and F350. My mind is definitely working overtime coming up with the plans for those vehicles.

Trailer 001sm.jpg

Trailer 003sm.jpg

Trailer 005sm.jpg

Trailer 006sm.jpg

Trailer 007sm.jpg

Trailer 009sm.jpg

Trailer 010sm.jpg

Trailer 012sm.jpg

Trailer 013sm.jpg

Last edited:

brussum

Adventurer
Thanks, fellas. I think they turned out well. It's the first time I've attempted to build something like that, so there was some experimenting and practicing with the saws involved. I've still got 10 fingers, so I guess I did alright. I just can't wait until spring/summer weather rolls around so I can put the drawer system to work and see how they do.

406expo

Adventurer
very sexy, I have a m101a2 and an a3 as well as a 416 trailer and I have similar plans for the 416 and your inspiring me to do the same on the a2 for pulling behind the truck. Very nice work

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior