battery ideas Nuvi 500

wcdu

Observer
My faithful companion Nuvi 500 is starting to have battery issues. I was wondering if there is a recommended replacement. Basically I take it out of my truck and put on my Teryx, Then I take it off that machine and stick it in a pocket.

I am a disposable vice rechargeable kind of guy. I wish they had used simple AA or even...gasp...123's

Thanks in advance.

Steve

off-roader

Expedition Leader
What does Garmin say? I know with my orig gps III they changed the bios battery at no charge even w/out the receipt because it failed well before it's expected lifespan.

4x4mike

Adventurer
I've got a Nuvi 750 with similar problems. I haven't been able to research it but I did do a battery mod for my Garmin Edge 305. It's been documented on the internet and was pretty easy to do. It involved a cell phone battery the exact size of the stock battery but the mah was about twice as the stock. Quick and easy swap with about 60% more running life.

Sorry I'm not much of a help but just sharing my experiences.

wcdu

Observer
I did the Amazon search and they had a gazillion options. Garmin says to buy a new battery from their store. I know that is an option but that involves an email order and a delivery someplace. I'll be passing through Denver in a week or two and the REI may have something in stock but the store is in lower downtown and I would almost rather have herpes then deal with the crappy parking and the traffic in general. I'll also be passing through Montrose where there is a Cabella's and a Sportsman Warehouse but I doubt either will be much help.

The world is just not designed for those of us that don't live like the masses.

Steve

chet

island Explorer
I'd saya radio shack would be a best bet. Take the back off and the old battery in and see if they have anything the same voltage and size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online