Expeditioning and Expedition

fowldarr

Explorer
Okay, I'm on the hunt for something more family oriented, I know that this forum is for the hardcore overlanding journeys, but I'm looking for something to break the family into something besides campground camping, so nothing extreme, In my searching I have noticed that there are some great deals to be had on the Ford Expedition (the gen 2 2003-2006, seem to have everything I need), They have plenty of space, for the family and dog, and gear, Seems like there are some mild lifts out there (mostly spacers), tires could be put on, and I think it would be a pretty capable rig for what I would be doing with my family.

What say you guys?

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Personally I would stay with a Gen 1 Expedition. It was still a real truck with separate bumpers and better styling to my eyes. I have had to use a Gen 2 2005 as a work truck for 6 years now and am not impressed with it. I have burned out about 10 coil packs, had the transmission rebuilt, and the A/C system replaced, among other odds and ends, all in under 90K miles. Just my observations....

RR1

Explorer
I would do an Excursion with a 7.3.

Buddy of mine has one and it is awesome!

f_222241602-0ec4d6d9.jpeg

fowldarr

Explorer
Yeah, I'll never talk my wife into an excursion, there was this girl she hated that had one, and it blew up on them. (So it reminds her of someone she hates, and because one neglected diesel blew up, she thinks the all do), I don't argue.

lllateralus

Observer
For exploring and off roading, I would really consider the 97-02 4WD with the 5.4 litre.

We had one for a few years and she had 120K miles when traded, and was GREAT. No engine problems, no tranny problems, meticulously maintained... burned NO oil, etc.

I took care of it, and it really took care of us. We traveled all over the back country in northern Arizona chasing freight trains with it, and it was fantastic.

Ours was a 1999, 5.4 4WD loaded Eddie Bower.

IMG_3932.jpg

P1000305-1.jpg

RR1

Explorer
Yeah, I'll never talk my wife into an excursion, there was this girl she hated that had one, and it blew up on them. (So it reminds her of someone she hates, and because one neglected diesel blew up, she thinks the all do), I don't argue.

Just put Expedition badges on it and she'll never know the difference.:ylsmoke:

Say it is a rare Expedition HD model...

RoosterBooster

Observer

that looks like the old Route 66 (Crookton road) RailRoad overpass between Seligman and Ashfork ?!? ;)

fowldarr;

i also owned a `99 5.4 Expedition for a couple years ... so i simply say X2 to all what lllateralus already posted :)
good size for family but still not too big ... very capable with a couple small mods (top quality trans fluid cooler and excellent shocks would be the first thing on my list)

bob91yj

Resident **************
Lot's of good info here, from family weekenders to world travelers. You're on the right track, find a vehicle that meets YOUR needs, load the family and get out there and have fun!

lstzephyr

wanderer
Hardcore overland junkies huh? I still consider it all just camping involving a truck as base camp, you can make it as complicated as you want it, or as simple as you want too. You will find all types on this forum. When I was a kid my boy scout troop would tow this massive 30 ft cooking trailer off into the woods with a bus of a 2wd longbed extended cab dodge. That was how I grew up camping, my truck is my mini version of that.

How big of a family are you talking about? My biggest limitation is always lack of money for fuel for getting out there, so my recommendation would be to pick the most fuel effecient thing you all can fit in.

I've always thought the expeditions were nicer than the tahoes. A sequoia might work for you too. Personally I would pick a full size bronco, but you may want four doors if you want a family cruiser. A Subaru station wagon would probably work great for that matter. What about a 4 door midsize suv of some sort or another?

Last edited:

lllateralus

Observer
RoosterBooster.. right on the money with the Crookton overpass! One of my (and my kids) favorite places to go for train watching. I so, so miss living in Arizona. (California now.. shame shame)

Fowldarr as for our ex-expedition, in both of those pictures it had only 2" of front torsion bar crank, and 305-70 17 tires. That Expedition ran with the torsions cranked like that from 50K miles, to 120K when we traded it with zero issues whatsoever. No CV joint noise, not even a single CV BOOT failure. And I wheeled the crap out of that truck.

fowldarr

Explorer
I have 3 kids and a dog, which leads to lots of gear. We have trie the midsize, but more room would be very nice (that or a midsize suv and trailer...)

Snafu

Adventurer
I wouldn't reccomend those newer Expeditions either. We have them at work and when they're fully loaded with all of the gear, and have a winch + bull bar mounted up front they sway all over the road very dangerously when you hit even a slight bump. Not only that, ours have small lifts and larger tires and they still drag their under carriage in the rocks and mud on a regular basis. I absolutely dislike these trucks and attribute their bad handling to the fully independent suspension. At least the previous gen had a real axle in back!

Snafu

Adventurer
Well, this does not sound promising at all. Back to the drawing board.

Plenty of other stuff out there...no worries! Even a van could work...have you seen the sportsmobile forum on this site yet?!

All sorts of guys have taken E series vans, Astros, Express vans you name it and gotten them into all sorts of mess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior