Hub centric axle question

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
I am building a cargo conversion trailer to take off road. I am in the process of changing out the axle and springs. I am using the factory leaf springs from the rear of my Tacoma and a 5200 Lb. axle to match the trucks bolt pattern and add brakes at the same time.
I want to use the same wheels as are on my 2010 Tacoma so that I only need one spare tire and wheel. Here is my question: do I need to run an adaptor in order to make the axel "hub centric"? The bolt pattern will be 6 on 5.5" so I can order the axel full width.
I am kind of concerned that the hole in the center of the adaptor might be too small to fit over the hub on the 5200 LB axle.

jeff

D

Deleted member 13060

Take a peek at Spidertax's spacers. the hole in the center is huge and designed to fit over the hub-centric portion of the Toyota hub......

I was facing the same problem and will put Spidertrax spacers on my trailer when I build it next spring. That way I can use the alloy wheels off another 2011 FJ and everything will match.... One spare for all, one socket and a pair of spares on the trailer if goes completely upside down.....

upcountry

Explorer
Jeff: Short answer is no, you do not need an adapter unless you plan to use the stock hubcentric aluminum wheels on the trailer. Two things to note:

1. The stock lug nuts on your truck work on both a lug centric wheel that requires a bevelled tip to center the wheel AND on a hub centric wheel that uses a shank style lug to hold the wheel on. The stock lug is both a shank and has a bevelled tip.
2. your stock spare (if it is one of the black steel wheels not an aluminum alloy type) is lug centric not hub centric and relies on the bevelled tip of the stock lug to center it on the hub, not the shank like the aluminum wheel does.

In my opinion just as long as your hub pattern is 6 on 5.5 and you run lug centric wheels on your trailer, they will work on both the truck and on the trailer. Lug centric wheels work fine on the Tacoma. And, your spare will work on either the trailer or the truck. Only problem os the truck wheels will not work on the trailer.

upcountry

Explorer
Jeff-

These are the wheels I am using on my M101a2 refurbish. I am using a 3500# axle with 6 on 5.5 axle and 10" electric brake setup.

The weheels I am using on the trailer are http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/tacomawheels.htm - see the 16" version with 4.5 backspacing.

These wheels are lug centric and will work on either my truck or my trailer. They are a close match to the AR Mojave wheels I currently run (http://www.treadepot.com/wheelgroup/moja.html ).

I run 285/70/17's on my truck on the 17" Mojave Wheels and have 285/75/16's mounted on the two Wheeler's Black 16" steelies for the trailer. All the wheels have 4.5 backspacing.

On the 16" stock black steel spare I have a Toyo M55 LT235/85R16 (http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/m-55-commercial-truck-tires ). The M55 is a sweet chaice for a spare on the Tacoma, a very narrow cookie cutter that is full size and tucks up real nice in the stock spare position. I chose this size because I wanted to have a close match to the 32.9 (the M55 is 32.1) diameter of the 285/70/17's. I tried stuffing a 285/70/16 on a wheelers steel wheel up in the spare position, but it was rubbing on the differential case at full articulation off road.

I have a 3" OME Lift on the truck.

My personal opinion is wheel spacers of any kind are a bad idea and will create a weak point. Also don't think they are legal for hifhway use if that matters to you. If your spacer fails on the freeway and the wheel goes its own direction and kills someone I am not sure if that is something I could live with. Might want to check with the manufacturer if they are approved for highway use.

Last edited:

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Take a peek at Spidertax's spacers. the hole in the center is huge and designed to fit over the hub-centric portion of the Toyota hub......

I was facing the same problem and will put Spidertrax spacers on my trailer when I build it next spring. That way I can use the alloy wheels off another 2011 FJ and everything will match.... One spare for all, one socket and a pair of spares on the trailer if goes completely upside down.....

^this^

Ended up doing the same thing..make sure you use at least a E load range tire...passenger car tires(which many of the Toyotas come with) do not have ample side wall support to use with a trailer

Good Luck

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I have no sympathy for those who want to venture out with only one spare to share between truck and trailer, I have seen too many bad things happen. But be careless or lazy if you wish, survival of the fittest....

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
Really?

I have no sympathy for those who want to venture out with only one spare to share between truck and trailer, I have seen too many bad things happen. But be careless or lazy if you wish, survival of the fittest....

That's ok dude. I didn't ask for your sympathy. I am not new to this. I have been 4 wheeling for over 40 years now and this will be my third trailer. My post was to enquire to intelligent people that have had experience with hub centric wheels. I am not looking for opinions of how to be paranoid while enjoying my outdoors experience. Please don't derail my thread. If you don't have anything positive to say, don't post.

Jeff

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Hi Jeff, I did the same thing with my trailer to match the Tundra, You might also consider the bolts on the wheel hub. I changed mine out so everything matches.When I first reveived the trailer all was cool except the buddy bearings would not let my procomp end caps to fit, to long. So off with them and used a regular cap and all fits great. The bolts I just changed out to match the factory Toyota 12mm. As far as hub centric did not have any problems with that,maybe I got lucky?

Ryan_S

Observer
^this^

Ended up doing the same thing..make sure you use at least a E load range tire...passenger car tires(which many of the Toyotas come with) do not have ample side wall support to use with a trailer

Good Luck

I did the same. The Spidertrax have the secondary bonus of having metric studs, so your lug nuts can all be the same. And they are hub centric so you can run either the steelies or alloy Toyota wheels.

Brazos609

Observer
Was the 5200lb axle needed for capacity or just selected for the 6x5.5" bolt pattern? You can get Dexter 10"x2.25" drums in the 6x5.5" pattern for a 3500lb axle.

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
Where?

No, I don't need the 5200# load capacity. 10" brakes would work.
Any ideas where I could find this combo?
Thanks.
Jeff

Brazos609

Observer
I don't know why the link isn't directing but if you scroll over it and right click "copy link location" and post it in your address bar it is correct.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94