4 season camper project

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
In Ireland (and I'm guessing most of EU) you have to get a medical every 5 years for anything heavier than 3500kg

Gentleman

Hello Guys and thanks for all the info!!

Ah, that is good news Riku, thanks!

Getting a Driving licence within US requires that you have already stayed in for 3 months so I guess 6+ months is required. That route is checked now and seems fairly hard crossing..

3 point kinetic attachment seems to be 'defacto' requirement. I guess this is something I would have to (95% of the cases) buy separately? Any ideas of the price on these things?

Few issues I have while considering low temperature areas.
1) pushout is tempting option.. I guess they are fairly large heat leak in most cases.
2) gas cooker requires fairly heavy ventilation (10cm*10cm intake and outflow holes that can not be covered OR machine driven ventilation)

Building a well insulated box might be bit pointless if large holes are required.
The joints of pushouts/ raised roof are also an issue.. I estimate that the loss of heat/draft of these is less than the loss of heat/draft from holes for gas cooker.

Cheer mates

Gentleman

Hello,

Regretfully I am not in shape so I decided to skip yearly climbing trip.. next year it is.. I just _have_to_ put enough effort in it.

Do people have experience on buying plots of land in favourite places/countries to have a place to Park & live while there? Spain would be on top of my list. (france, italy, switzerland, france, uk on second tier). USA is also an intrest but getting car across the atlantic is an expensive hassle so that is more 'would like to know' kinda thing.

julius0377

Adventurer
Some info on our insulation and heating.

Temperature conditions:
Cold is my enemy. I would say -10 to -15 C would be common in winter times. -22 would be rare. -30 C would be once in seven years and -35 would be ones in twentyfive years.
This is about the same as we experience where most places we travel here in Norway, and was a big part of our own considerations.

I would like to have reasonably comfortable temperature in my housing unit say 11 to 14 C (? what would be realistic with reasonable heating in -15 C?)
We have a Bimobil EX480 (see Bimobil.de) with standard walls, floor, roof thickness. Heating is from a Truma 6E gas heater. When it's about -15 we use one 11kg gas cylinder pr. 3-5 days depending on inside temp, and much we use the hot water, open windows/doors and cook. With an inside tempearture in the 19-21 degrees range, we last slightly under 4 days on average pr. bottle. This is a lot better than what we have experienced with other campers and what many report as normal use, mainly due to the good insulation of the Bimobil camper.

Truma reports 480 gr. as average hourly gas consumption on maximum (normal for winter operation), that should give 11,52 KG use pr. 24 hours (about 1 cylinder pr. day). This means the average 4 days gives me a 25-35 % gas usage compared to the "worst case" scenario. A good number!

The Bimobil floor is 60mm, walls and roof is 45mm. Check their site for specs on the foam they use. We also have some cold bridges in the camper, so it could be even better with careful planning of the construction.

Windows and such will be the biggest cold spots. I plan to build option to replace such things with equipment designed for winter conditions (insulation top priority)

We have not done anything special about window insulation (and use the standard dometic RV windows.) I have thought of making a system with four pushbuttons around each window with a "curtain" of insulation using the typical "front window" insulation panels one can find (wool inside, reflective material outside, cross stitched.)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier