Military GPS Antenna

jscusmcvet

Explorer
REcently, I bought a land rover that has a military grade, external GPS antenna mounted on the roof rack. Does anyone know of a commercially available GPS for use on road and trail that has the ability to use this external antenna?

Thanks,

John

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I'll wager that with the proper connector the "military" antenna will work just fine with any commercial GPS unit. In general they all have a low noise amplifier and run off of 2.7v to 5v that is fed up the center of the coax from the GPS unit

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Hey John,
When I got the antenna I was going to use it with my Garmin Quest...the antenna has a fitting for a "N" plug, but the Garmin Quest had a tiny MCX plug. Looking on Ebay they had the adapters to convert the one on the GPS antenna down to what I needed. I think I was going to have to use N to BNC then BNC to MCX. I never hooked it up because I couldn't decide how to run the cable and you know how I am about drilling holes in my vehicles!!! :)

take care,
Andy

Sorry to say I have NO idea wha all this means.. Good thing you are close by. I might need some help here... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz