Receiver racks and tables

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I am going to mount 1 1/4" receiver tubes on the tub of my 101A2 to use as a mounting location for
tables, umbrella,cook stove and possibly awning mounts.

Looking for other ideas that forum members fabricated to slide into their receivers.
Show me some pictures.

Here are two I found so far.

Attachments

• Table2.jpg
    Table2.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 174
  • coffeebreak.jpg
    coffeebreak.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 215

JPK

Explorer
So-Cal Tear Drop Trailers offers side mounted 1 1/4" receivers on their trailers.

They mentions flag poles, cocktail tables, umbrellas... Here's a link: http://www.socalteardrops.com/options.php?cid=1&oid=5

There is a grill that nounts to a receiver too, can't recall the brand.

In the two photos you provided, the receivers are both 2". 2" receivers have advantages over the 1 1/4" receivers. All else the same, there is less wobble with the larger receiver, which might make a 2" more suitable for tables and stoves...

On wobble, the very best anti rattle/anti wobble/anti tilt pin I have used is the J shaped Drawtight pin to the right in the link below. It requires a second hole in the receiver tube but gets rid of all wobble. I use them and use my UWS receiver mounted carrier with a piece of plywood as a grill/stove table and its stable as can be. I fact, I can stand on the carrier and shift my weight without it moving.http://www.etrailer.com/comparison.aspx?pc=13613&pc2=63201

When I was considering bulding my M101A2 for comping I had planned to incorporate a couple of side mounted 2" receivers, welded to the frame and bolted or welded to the tub for the same purposes you're looking at.

One thought I had was to install two receivers per side forward of the wheel wells which would accomodate larger tables work surfaces and solve any tilt/wobble isues as well. (My M101A2 has the wider A3 drop axle and the A3's 12.5"x37"x16.5" tires, which extend past the edge of the fenders, so spanning the wheel well was not an option. I think it is with the A2 axle, wheels and tires.)

JPK

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
I love the 'exo-frame' design of those Outlander Trailers, I just wish an online search brought up more than old sci-fi movies. They seem to be a really versatile trailer.

Table2.jpg

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Receiver mounts:

Thanks guys!
I bought a bunch of 6" long 1 1/4" receiver tubs off ebay when I bought the 2" model for the rear of the trailer.
I will be useing a pair in front of the wheels on the passenger side and making a cook counter and stove hanger.
I mounted them to a 3/32" steel plate that will be bolted to the tub and cross members. 6 to 8 bolts
Here is the start, I still have to drill the mounting holes but you get the idea.

Attachments

• DSC05563.JPG
    DSC05563.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC05551.JPG
    DSC05551.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC05072.JPG
    DSC05072.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 36

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Receiver mounts

I had some time and daylight after work to finish the receiver mounts that will hold my cooking table.
the holes drilled well with a new set of Craftsman bits. I mounted the 1/8" plate to three crossmembers under the trailer tub.
Two holes were open and I used lock nuts with the bolts the other four were blind and needed to be tapped.

The steel of the M101A2 trailers is thick and taps nice.
all six bolts snugged down tight and may be over kill but I want this to last.

I won a nine foot offset post umbrella, I am going to make a receiver mount to slide it into and be able to use it with the trailer.
It will be removable from the receiver tube and store in the trailer simular to a flag pole mount.

Attachments

• DSC05626.JPG
    DSC05626.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC05630.JPG
    DSC05630.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC05631.JPG
    DSC05631.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC05632.JPG
    DSC05632.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC05633.JPG
    DSC05633.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 32

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Bluewater: That is an awesome rig.
Lots of cool slide in ideas.
The fishing set up reminds me of the trucks at North Carolina.
Thank You!

4xdog

Explorer
Nice stuff, Bluewater Australia! OKA is just about as rare as it gets for this North American fan. Thanks for the pix.

Don

Actually here's another one, crappy photo but might be useful: There's one core slide-in frame in the middle of all that that has three uprights and another receiver built into it. This frame slots into a receiver on the big rack. The cutting board / table goes into the two vertical tubes on the frame, and a big umbrella goes into the third upright, hard up to the back of the table (that's the white pole there). The bucket carrier goes into the extra receiver on the frame itself. So all of that - bucket, umbrella and table - are all fitting into one receiver mount.

rack_P1250098.jpg

The only thing I'd do different now, and still can of course, is to make the three vertical uprights on the core frame able to be folded down, so as to take up less space when in storage. The bucket frame is hinged, so that it can be folded up/secured/left in place when travelling, but in actual use of course it didn't take up much space when flat, so it always just got pulled out and put away.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
A couple more receivers added

Some progress this week, I added two more receivers to the trailer.
Now four total three 1 1/4" and one 2" for the umbrella mount.
comming soon an Oak Kitchen prep table and a flag mount.

Attachments

• DSC05662.JPG
    DSC05662.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC05660.JPG
    DSC05660.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC05664.JPG
    DSC05664.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC05661.JPG
    DSC05661.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC05657.JPG
    DSC05657.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC05656.JPG
    DSC05656.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 30

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
The Plates are 1/8" steel I sheared on the press at work.
drilled, welded and mounted with 5/16" bolts the front two have nuts
and the rear one is drilled and tapped into the tub cross member.
They hold tight and do the job.

Henry J: Nice cooler rack. I like the double mount to stiffen the load.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles