Just bought 1971 Chevy c-10 suburban

Billhilly

Adventurer
Great Sub! Definitely a K as in 4X4. I know it's over a 100 miles away but if you need anything at all Wes Hepp at Classic Heartbeat (http://www.classicheartbeat.com/) is a great guy and knows these trucks inside out. If you need any other help there are more than a couple of guys here (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/) that know most answers to most things! If you had the camera out again would you mind taking a picture of the SPID (label on the inside of the glovebox). Would be interesting to see what it was ordered with. I say get in and drive it! A great old rig.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
If you had the camera out again would you mind taking a picture of the SPID (label on the inside of the glovebox). Would be interesting to see what it was ordered with. I say get in and drive it! A great old rig.

I'm agree on the SPID picture. Anytime I see one of those era trucks I love looking at the SPID to see what they came with. Don't really look at the '73 and later trucks, but I have to look at the 67-72's. Weird I know, but I can't help myself.

Jack

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
as the proud owner of my granddads 72 chevy truck I gotta say that is a sweeet ride.
I agree with spending time on 67-72chevytrucks.com forum as there are some smart people there.
I have yet to find a part I could not get in reproduction or junkyard.

Just drive the snot out of it before you do anything and let your needs determine what mods you make.
I have also owned the same body style 'burban and a big block was an easy fit since they came from the factory but the gas sucking volume was terrible. I think you can go anywhere you need with a well built 350 unless you are towing.

Keep posting pics and trips!

Rot Box

Explorer
Awesome rig :drool:

When I was growing up my old man had a 71 2wd with barn doors. He converted it to 4wd and rebuilt the motor and trans and added some 35" BFG's while my mom reupholstered the interior. I can't tell you how many camping trips we took in that thing. A huge regret for me is not picking that up when i had the chance. I still see it running around with a new owner but its now a rusted out neglected heap :(

Anyway enough from me lol can't wait to see more it sure brings back memories :bike_rider:

oneuglynerd

Observer
Sounds like I need to take some photos. I'll get some and post asap. Thanks for all the compliments. This Burb is the coolest vehicle I ever had that is for sure.

TCcruzn

Observer
awesome find. I had a '69 with the 4spd and a straight 6. it didn't go very fast but it could pull like a tractor. I drove it all over the Rockies back in the mid 70's. Have fun

oneuglynerd

Observer
Btw I was curious if anyone knew the gvcwr of these. I wanna know how much I can tow. I know the vehicle is 5800lbs itself but not sure of towing capacities.

Billhilly

Adventurer
I don't think they listed that with this era truck. All the load capacity charts just list GVW's with maximum front and rear end 'weight at ground'. Only mention a trailer gets is about not exceeding ' Maximum Rear End Weight at Ground' with it attached.

oneuglynerd

Observer
Yes when I saw this thing I couldn't believe the guy was willing to trade it for my vw bus. (although it was nice) still I was shocked and the 4x4 cemented the deal. going to post photos today of the glove box information and other stuff too. So I understand, as long as I don't go over the gvw of the back axle it's ok? I'm not trying to tow 10k just around 5-6k. It does have the 350 in it. This weekend it gets a new intake, carb and maybe headers I'm thinking it should be around 300hp or so. I would guess that would handle my boat and the occasional car I might tow without problems. I've also been thinking about adding airbags for the rear suspension.

Balzer

Adventurer
Awesome burb! 69-72 chevys are my all time fav trucks.

Just to clear things up yes its technically a K-10 but they used c 10 as a trim level next higher trim level would have been a custom 10.

As far as your axles go you will be fine with the ones you have. They ARE NOT crappy 10bolt $100 axles. Your front is a D44 and the rear axle is a 12bolt. they will hold up to 35s easy. If you plan on 38s and a pissed off big block then maybe you should upgrade the axles. LOL

Good luck and have fun.

oneuglynerd

Observer
Great to here. I thought I might have those axles but I don't know the difference of a 10bolt and Dana 44. I'm going to drive it til next spring and then figure out if there is anything else I want to do besides get the body work done and finish with any mechanics that come up.

greg mgm

Explorer
Careful with adding headers. I installed Thorley headers on my old 78 GMC and inadvertently caused it to vapor lock on occasion. The headers were really close to the fuel line inside the frame rail. I ended up re routing the fuel line.

PS- You'll be fine towing 5-6k lbs. No worries.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Be careful with "power" adders. Most seem to just make more noise and use more fuel with very little actual gain in power. Just for a point of reference, those trucks, when new, with the 350 were only rated at 175 hp. Not sure what the replacement motor is rated at (probably somewhere around 200 if you are lucky), but don't expect 300 hp with just a carb/intake/headers. SBC need to breathe to make hp and that mostly happens in the heads/cam combo. If you do headers, put quality ones on. The cheap ones, don't last and won't stay tight.

And yeah, it will tow 5-6k no problems, just don't expect to keep up with modern trucks on the hill climbs.

Jack

Last edited:

oneuglynerd

Observer
Thanks for the advice about the headers. Maybe I should stick with the set up I have. I'd hate to spend money and not get performance back for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior