Found a Bantam M100 trailer

4biker

Observer
the backspacing was a big unknown. the hubs and wheels on my trailer before were (jeep) 5 x 4.5" steelies. the 6 x 5.5" sequoia/tundra wheels do need 1.25" spacers on my '80, and i only had 1 spacer left (i needed one for mounting my spare on the rear tire carrier :) ) so i sure was hoping to find i didn't need to order 1 more to get the 37" BFGs with tundra/sequoia wheels to fit my trailer.

turns out my fears were unfounded. the backspacing on the jeep steelies were much tighter:

steelies with 33" x 12.5 r15 MTR's: it's t i g h t

so it all depends on what you're starting with.

Thanks for the quick reply. I guess my only question is whether you have the stock-width axle under your trailer, or if it's been switched out for a wider one. I've got the original military hubs with the 5x5.5 bolt pattern with the stock axle. I'd rather just buy a new axle with e-brakes than pay $100 for spacers on the old axle after replacing the hubs.

hakalugi

expoooooo?
hmm, i can't answer that. i know the PO put on aftermarket springs (OME-dakar) a extended shackle kit and skyjacker shocks....

get the bearing details, that will help. when i gave the etrailer guys my bearings they told me i had a 3500# axle that took 10" drums, which are plentiful in many bolt combos. and they can also tell you if e-brakes are an option too (i left mine a physical emergency brake for now, electric brakes are on my radar, but i needed to get out and enjoy it for a bit first!)

new hub mounted, 'old hub' on the ground:

attachment.php

note how extended the emergency brake cable was - it actually pushed the shoes out and made removing the drum difficult. i think the e-brake lines being lenghtened (if they can even be kept) when i put on power-electric brakes will be on my list of todo's.

Last edited:

4biker

Observer
hmm, i can't answer that. i know the PO put on aftermarket springs (OME-dakar) a extended shackle kit and skyjacker shocks....

get the bearing details, that will help. when i gave the etrailer guys my bearings they told me i had a 3500# axle that took 10" drums, which are plentiful in many bolt combos. and they can also tell you if e-brakes are an option too (i left mine a physical emergency brake for now, electric brakes are on my radar, but i needed to get out and enjoy it for a bit first!)

Thanks for the info - that's really helpful. I should be able to get the wheels off tonight (frozen lug) and see about tearing the hubs down.

Sorry for the hijack, slimtwo. Hopefully it doesn't distract too much from your original post.

Robert Bills

Explorer
Hakalugi's trailer does not have the same axles as your WWII trailer. (His appears to be a Canadian M101 trailer.) Changing your lug pattern won't be as easy as your axle has full floating hubs and the center hole on your TJ wheels is too small to slide over those hubs.

Your least expensive option will be to order a Dexter axle with the appropriate weight rating and lug pattern, which you can order with electric brakes. You will need to do some careful measuring and take into consideration the backspacing on the wheels you intend to use. It won't be as simple as measuring hub face to hub face, but its very do-able. If you search this forum I think you will find at least one thread where someone has already done it and posted the appropriate axle measurements for a WWI military trailer using a Toyota wheel, and maybe even a TJ wheel. (Note: the Viet Nam era M416 will have a different axle measurement, be sure you are comparing apples and apples.)

I once researched the possibility of modifying the military parking brakes on the stock Bantam axle to operational service brakes. (I didn't need to consider a new lug pattern as my tow rig is a jeep with the 5x51/2 lug pattern.) My conclusion was that the only practical way to do it was to use an electric over hydraulic system with master cylinder mounted on the trailer. There are some slick setups, but way too pricey.

Last edited:

slimtwo

Adventurer
Thanks for the info - that's really helpful. I should be able to get the wheels off tonight (frozen lug) and see about tearing the hubs down.

Sorry for the hijack, slimtwo. Hopefully it doesn't distract too much from your original post.

No worries here. It's all good information. It would have been nice to know this info before I bought my axle, however, I really like how the E-brakes work, so I more than likely would have done it anyway.

Happy trails!

slimtwo

Adventurer
Robert,

As I indicated in the previous post, I changed out the axle for one with e-brakes. The axle is from Redneck trailer parts, and it is 52" hub to hub. Brakes work great!

Happy trails!

slimtwo

Adventurer
Slimtwo,

If you get a chance could you give me the inside dimensions of that large ammo box bolted on the side of your MBT.

Thanks

No problem! The box is 17 3/8" X 7 5/8" by about 14" deep. kind of a nice size, I'll find something to use it for, I've since taken it off the side as part of cleaning up the lines of the trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94