M416 Build to go behind my CJ

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
Very impressed with your Jeep and Trailer build. Well thought out mods and professional workmanship.
I was wondering about the top and was going to check out your build to see if I missed an update, glad it's on the way!

Last edited:

DonBeasley

Adventurer
Thanks. It is an ongoing(i.e. neverending) project that has been going on for 12 years so far.

Sierra 4x4 (in Nevada) has perfect timing!!! Chris shipped it today and it should be here on Thursday. I am in Nevada all of next week. Would have been expensive to check it on the plane as luggage anyway!!!!

hesterj

Adventurer
Very nice build. Glad to see you were able to retain the parking brake. It was a important part of my build as well.
I also really like the power coating you had applied throughout the trailer.

You are a lucky couple of guys to work with a complete M416 with that little rust. Also,lucky to to have it accompanied with a nice CJ. The combo with the same 5x5.5 bolt pattern is a easy one to deal with!

I have been hunting a way to keep the park brake and shift to the 5x4.5 TJ set up while running the small
OEM wheel dust cap size. Impossible combo!!! (I have grown a love/hate relationship with this concern)

Please keep us all informed on the progress. I would love to see some detail pictures of the top and how you choose to install it to open. If you are intrested, I have a build on mine....my little m416 on jeepfourm.com. It's at the end of stage 1. Stage 2 gets the top with all the electric goodies. Please let me know what you think. I value the opinion of craftsman like y'all. Thanks

DonBeasley

Adventurer
Thanks. I am on Jeepforum as we speak so I will go look.

No way to put adapters on the axle to accept your wheels? I am not to familiar with the small hub axle.

Yeah I had the tub sandblasted and powdercoated with a zinc based rust inhibiting primer. It will get painted Alpaca Brown to match the CJ. Same with the top.

Once top gets here I will post pictures as it goes on. This will be a true test to see if the tube is square and rails straight.

ethernectar

Adventurer
Did you have a springover on it? What size tires? This is good info. I do not want to tear this up.

Spring-over with 32's. Now I will admit that we were flying on some segments of the road, but what really did it in was the woops. I did see daylight underneath the tires a couple times.

Here's a crop of the fenders after we bent them up.

fenders.jpg

DonBeasley

Adventurer
Not a pretty sight!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will have to remember that. I am old and slow so hopefully that will not happen. As soon as lid is on, I will load it with a bunch of weight and give it a test run.

DonBeasley

Adventurer
After 6 long months, my M416 lid has finally arrived at the freight terminal in Ft. Worth and I am in Las Vegas all week. What bad timing. I will post pictures as soon as I pick it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior