Suspension questions???

timh

Explorer
I recently purchased a real simple offroad trailer from Craigslist. It came with 1500lb trailer leaf springs. I quickly determined that the packs were too stiff as I will only be running 400-500lbs of weight in the trailer at any given time. I removed one leaf leaving only the main leaf and tried it out. The trailer handled well enough off road and is not too bouncy, but as I suspected the single leaf will not cut it. I managed to break one after the 1st long trail run.

I have read and researched on here all day and think I may try the Samurai or YJ springs. I am assuming that they are the stock rear springs that people are using. I have also been looking around online and calling junkyards with absolutely no luck of finding new or used springs. Does anyone have any recommendations on where I might find some? Is there another route I should consider? I have considered the trailing arm setup but the more I have read it seems to be much trickier to get a proper setup. The leafs will be much more cost effective for me right now anyway.

Any advice I could get would be great.

Thanks

JPK

Explorer
There is a parts/salvage title seller the name of which I can't recall. It's stored on my home computer, I'll try a link later tonight. Last I looked they had a set of four YJ spring sets for sale. Can't recall their location either... out west somewhere.

You'd think it would be easier to find a set of YJ springs. Might try giving the years for the YJ's rather than telling a guy who doesn't know Jeeps that you're looking for YJ springs, if that is getting yopu nowhere.

shogun

Adventurer
Tim;

You could run over to arizona spring (on Grant) and talk to Ivan. He could gin up a pack that would work at design load. He's a little odd, but knows what to build.

I think Saturn Surplus sells 416 springs NOS for about $50 ea. Some folks think they are too stiff but they run fine at 416 weights.

If you need someone to fab and weld I know a good shop.

Then again, you could dig up a 416 and be done with it. :ylsmoke:

timh

Explorer
As far as the YJ springs go, I did find some new ones on 4wheelparts. They are stock replacements for $85 each. I do still plan on stopping down at Arizona Spring and asking them about building me a set.

As far as the fabricator goes, I contacted a guy on Phx that some friend recommended. I think I may want to talk to your guy shogun. I need to whole tongue redone, springs and shocks mounted, and maybe a lid buit if the price is right. I am going to throw another pack underneath the trailer this weekend to make it mobile so I might just take it down to them next week and get a solid quote.

As far as shocks go, I am really unsure what to run, anyone have any suggestions? Should I find a shorter shock that I can stand up more to get proper dampening? How will a larger shock do when layed down at an angle?

adelinebovi

Adeline Bovi
Can anyone help me with my query??
I'm in search of best quality compression springs...So I need to know that except Rowley Spring which other dealer supplies best quality and cheap costing springs??Waiting for your replies..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior