What is the best tent to put on top of my trailer??

JeepDork

Adventurer
My trailer is 4ft x 7ft with storage boxes on both sides that are about 8" wide. Total width is just under 6ft. I am looking for a roof top fold out tent for my trailer. They all seem great. Which ones are the best and why? There are so many???

wannabridin

Have you considered a pop up roof tent instead? There's a few people on here with them, they are quite cool!

Also, don't forget about good stabilization for when you're asleep!

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
If I had a large base trailer and the budget for a solid tent, I would go with the Eezi-Awn Globe Trotter. Its designed specifically for use on trailers and its function is hard to beat with a standard RTT.

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
I second the Globe Trotter:

img_5812.jpg

Shame your not closer since I'm selling my tent.. :eek:(

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
I have a 'RackTents', which I believe is a Mombossa? Been very happy with it.

trailerCJ001.jpg

Just looking at your trailers, nice! If I may, how much are they talking for one , ballpark. Thanks

It depends on what you find, and how much work you do yourself.

I have less than $1200 into mine, including the RTT. (not including labor:snorkel:)

To buy one that's 'Ready to Go' will run you $5K +

Check out Adventure Trailers, or AT, they are a sponsor here, and build some seriously nice off road trailers.

Ryan_S

Observer
Ryan, with the little awning extended, can you lift the Chaser lid?

I haven't tried opening the lid with the tent deployed yet. I'm building a slide out kitchen in the back half of the trailer, so I won't need to open the lid very often.

also, FWIW the trailer is an M416. :beer:

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
Overall, we're really happy with the Eezi-Awn on our Horizon. It stood up to a night of very heavy winds with gusts to 50 MPH winds on a trip to Canyonlands last year. I think they may a little more expensive than some other brands, but I think the quality is there.

BTW, we can lift the lid on our Horizon when the tent is deployed. The only issue is that it can be a little fussy to get the two halves properly aligned when you close the lid. There is a metal lip on the half mounted to the trailer that should slide below the other half of the tent. When you close the trailer lid that often won't happen and you need to lift up the other half and push it onto that lip. Not a big deal, you just need to remember to do that if you have the lid open.

JeepDork

Adventurer
Howling Moon

Anybody have any experience with the Howling Moon brand tents? I was at the Off Road Expo this weekend and went to the display for Bundugear. www.bundugear.com They have a really nice rtt with a changing room. Very Nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz