Backroad capable teardrop build

SnowZone

This is my backroad teardrop trailer build. I've been chipping away at it since the spring.

The plan:
BRT%20Tall%202.jpg

BRT%20Tall%202.1%20CA.jpg

It's designed to be pulled primarily behind my Jeep, but also needs to be towable by my wife's Escape. Luckily the math is pretty close:
trailertable.jpg

The frame:
BRT4.jpg

Continued....

SnowZone

The "skirt":
BRT6.jpg

At ride height:
BRT7.jpg

Wheels and tires to match the Jeep:
BRT19.jpg

Shocks mounted:
BRT18.jpg

Primer:
BRT14.jpg

And Painted:
BRT15.jpg

Next up will be the body of the trailer. Made of a plywood/foam/canvas laminate...Should be fun!

SnowZone

Thanks!

We were intending on putting a traditional rear galley on it, but I have never been to comfortable with cooking so close to where I eat (especially since we camp in bear country). So we changed up the design and added the cross-bunk for our son. There is space to carry a table/chairs in the rear and along with the fridge/barrel/kitchen in the truck should cover it nicely I hope!

Thanks Stomper! The SawTooth was one of the big influences in design!

Things are going to be hectic for the next month or so, but I'm hoping to have it campable before the end of October.

Blderman

Looks great! How do you plan to build the roof structure? Just curious if you will be using steel instead of wood due to all the angles?

SnowZone

The "box" will be made from 2" ridgid polyurethane foam with a sealed canvas exterior and luan ply interior (kind of like a traditional canoe, or home built aircraft wing). With this type of construction 85% of the weight can be within 20" of the centerline of the wheels (low COG), and it is easily repairable if damaged on the road.

Should have some more progress this weekend.

Last edited:

SnowZone

Didn't get to the shop much this week, but did get a few little additions done:

BRT21.jpg

BRT20.jpg

I realized that I need some new tools as well! :wings:

SnowZone

Last night started on the box:
IMG_1365.jpg

Started laying out the profile:
IMG_1369.jpg

I'm hoping to get both sides cut tonight and maybe start gluing some foam together as well since we are going camping for the next week.

SnowZone

Profile started!

Profile's cut!
BRT23.jpg

And the first wall being glued/clamped/weighted:
BRT22.jpg

240 lbs of tire/rim and 180 lbs of I-beam should make for a straight/flat layup! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles