Cooler ?

bat

Explorer
I have had this cooler for awhile and I thought about making a cooler inside for frozen stuff. My thought was to take some foam insulation I had laying around and build a mini cooler inside. I do not see why it would not work but give me your thoughts on it.

003.JPG002.JPG005.JPG004.JPG001.JPG

orionkhan

Adventurer
Funny, after coming back from camping this weekend, I was thinking about trying the exact same thing. I even have the same cooler.

4RunAmok

Explorer
The Coleman Xtreme is AWESOME...

And you've got the right idea with that little compartment. If you could find a way to insert some Dry Ice into those homemade panels (with careful consideration not to let the Dry Ice touch plastic, which will crack the plastic), then you've got a great freezer within your cooler.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Just FYI on the Xtremes... We have the rectangular 70qt models at the office for events we host and they are indeed awesome for non-Yeti/Engel price (not knocking them, just my lack of $$$). However, the wheeled, square-shaped 75qt Xtreme I had a friend pick up for me on sale does not have the same style insulated lid. It's just a hollow plastic lid, and so I find that the version I got doesn't keep ice/cold near as long as the others. Overall I'm still a fan of the Xtreme's performance/price/capacity quotient. I'm just convinced that the lid insulation is where they got it right... on some models.
:coffeedrink:
Back on track; I see the allure of having a 'frozen' compartment, and especially the allure of having only having one cooler to drag around, period. But I think the absolute best results you'll get would still be with a smaller, separate box that doesn't get opened except for food prep. In any case, freeze every food item you can in Ziploc Freezer Bags. If you haven't done that before you'll be surprised how much food you can cram in a small space by getting rid of all original hard packaging and using bags with the air squeezed out for everything. Kudos for trying something different, and I look forward to seeing how this turns out. I love this forum.
:REOutCampFire03:

Last edited:

4RunAmok

Explorer
Most if not all probably already know this, but NEVER bring a bare styrofoam cooler on a 4x4 trip if you intend to keep it in the cabin. The squeaks will drive you insane.

I only bring this up if you follow his 'second cooler' logic, and your first thought is a styrofoam container.. Not even the ones from Omaha Steaks are quiet once opened.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Most if not all probably already know this, but NEVER bring a bare styrofoam cooler on a 4x4 trip if you intend to keep it in the cabin. The squeaks will drive you insane.

I only bring this up if you follow his 'second cooler' logic, and your first thought is a styrofoam container.. Not even the ones from Omaha Steaks are quiet once opened.

AMEN!! Testify, My Brother! :elkgrin:

Hate styrofoam for anything other than making spaceships for my Star Wars figures...

bat

Explorer
I decided to switch the foam compartment to the other side away from the wheel wells, the insulation around those areas seem to be on the thin side.

what I want to know is why every single ice chest/cooler I see sold in any store has interior cut-outs and slots for interior panels and shelving, but no panels or shelving are ever sold, made, even referenced.... what's up with that? I last remember having bought a cooler with an upper tray accessory in the 1980s. Never seen one since.

4RunAmok

Explorer
My guess is they're for reinforcing the surfaces more than being for shelves, but don't let that stop you from fabricating your own :)

Smksignals

Explorer
what I want to know is why every single ice chest/cooler I see sold in any store has interior cut-outs and slots for interior panels and shelving, but no panels or shelving are ever sold, made, even referenced.... what's up with that? I last remember having bought a cooler with an upper tray accessory in the 1980s. Never seen one since.

The slots work great for making a Coolerdor.:) (A hi capacity inexpensive cigar humidor)

IMAG003.JPG

I think it is a psychological experiment - to make us ask "Why?" :Wow1:

It's working. I'm still asking why. I'll get hung up on it and write a book about it someday. Extinct: Discussions on The Great Cooler Shelving Mystery.

Kinda like the dinosaur debate, only relevant and practical.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94