H2 video

Scott Brady

Founder
When I was a fireman, we used the H1 for a fast response brush truck.

ftruck.jpg

Of course, we needed to train the new drivers on it's off-highway capabilities and limits. The greatest advantages of the H1 platform is approach and departure angles, as well as stability. The factory 37" tires allow most obstacles to be swallowed by the vehicle.

As I have said before, the HUMMER vehicles are actually very capable off-road in stock condition, but the majority of the drivers (especially in the H2) are not experienced off-roaders. The traded in their BMW M3 for an SUV, and did not have the progressive learning process that drivers from most other marques experience. It is also proven that most HUMMER drivers have a more aggressive temperament and often represent the "look at me" crowd. This is reflected in the driving style (I have seen this first hand during the AZ OHV training courses).

So back to my firetruck story... Well, B shift got the HUMMER stuck in a gravel pit, and they really didn't want the Chief to know, so they called me on a Saturday to come "winch" them out (they did not know how to operate the winch). Once arriving at the "stuck", I knew I could get the HUMMER out. So, I aired down the tires to 15 psi with the CTIS and then slowly climbed the gully out, applying moderate brake pressure to engage the torsion diff locks. I didn't even spin a tire, and B shift stood there slack jawed.

It wasn't any great driving accomplishment on my part, but an understanding of the vehicle. I knew how CSIT worked, and how it would benefit traction, and I understood how to engage the geared LSD's.

Ron B

Explorer
a great story Scott...most people I run into have no idea how to drive their vehicles (all makes). Nowadays alot of people have the false sense of security from the salesman's bs, comercials showing trucks on mountain-tops, and 35 inch tires. These folks are usually the ones in the videos posted on the internet making our trucks look bad (and the one's cutting us off at the mall). I've always believed it's more driver than truck anyway.

I think Jim Cameron has a few of those firetrucks on his property in Malibu incase of brush fires. Pretty cool.

Ron B

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
jeffryscott said:
I travelled with the Tucson Hummer group through Charouleau Gap back in April or May and was impressed - not only that they would take them on a challenging trail, but at the vehicle themselves. Their big disadvantage on the trail is their width. The H1 is obviously even worse, and really doesn't have much articulation - but then, it can just bully its way through things. I got under one of the H2s and they had good protection from the factory.

I did have to chuckle a bit at the custom-cut magnetic sheets many put on to protect their body panels from pinstriping. But then again, I've never paid 50K for a vehicle ...

Jeff

Yer famous Jeffry: http://www.azstarnet.com/dailystar/northwest/74598.php

I'd luv to ride with this group and see the vehicles go!

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
jeffryscott said:
I travelled with the Tucson Hummer group through Charouleau Gap back in April or May and was impressed - not only that they would take them on a challenging trail, but at the vehicle themselves. Their big disadvantage on the trail is their width. The H1 is obviously even worse, and really doesn't have much articulation - but then, it can just bully its way through things. I got under one of the H2s and they had good protection from the factory.

I did have to chuckle a bit at the custom-cut magnetic sheets many put on to protect their body panels from pinstriping. But then again, I've never paid 50K for a vehicle ...

Jeff

By the way....any idea where they had the magnetic covers made? I've been told I can't buff my 100 any more or the shine's coming off. I've considered this. Thanks! John

blaze one

Adventurer
Isn't the H2 built on the same platform and suspension as the Tahoe's ? , so in theroy you could pick up a used Tahoe , add custom bumpers front and rear , trim the wheel wells and add a body lift . and some larger tires , and have near or almost the same capability of the H2 , with half the costs . Ah.... GM , so smart and sneeky !

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
blaze one said:
Isn't the H2 built on the same platform and suspension as the Tahoe's ? , so in theroy you could pick up a used Tahoe , add custom bumpers front and rear , trim the wheel wells and add a body lift . and some larger tires , and have near or almost the same capability of the H2 , with half the costs . Ah.... GM , so smart and sneeky !

Kind of. Tahoe rear and modified K2500 front.

Ron B

Explorer
the Tahoe and the H2 are similar, and are made up of alot of the same parts, but it's a mistake to call them the same. Aside from the obvious cosmetic differences - the H2's fugly plastic boxy body, bigger tires, nicer interior, etc... - the engine in the H2 is not available in the Tahoe (6.0/325 hp vrs 5.3/295 hp). The most important thing is that the H2's wheelbase is 7 inches longer, but the over-all length is 10 inches shorter (which gives the H2 pretty good approach/departure angles). The traction control system is the same one in the newer H1's, which works well. I believe the tranny, t-case, and rear diff are also different/not available in the Tahoe (?). It's main weakness, however, is that it attracts more middle fingers than the Tahoe!

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not a huge fan of the H2, but it will get you some crazy places right out of the box. Here's an old shot of a friend of mine in the Mojave desert.

Ron B

Attachments

• gr3.jpg
    gr3.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 54

blaze one

Adventurer
I stand corrected :coffee: I always welcome new information . I think Chevrolet had a great idea in the H3 ( to fix some of the down falls of the H2 :size ! ) but fell short when they built it on the Canyon/Colorado platform .

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
Other than size, I believe the biggest disadvantage of the H2 is it's weight. I have appreciation for H1's and H3's but struggle with H2's.

Has GM upgraded the front components to eliminate all the breakage that was occuring on H2's?

Ron B

Explorer
I agree with you 100% about the weight issue. It is about 1800 lbs (me thinks) heavier than a Tahoe, but made up of many of the same components -- like the tiny tie-rod. At least the tie-rod is cheap and easy to replace. One might be worried about other, more $$ things breaking if the tie-rod didn't. One of the reasons I sold my H2 and got an H1 was this issue. I felt I'd be upgrading so much to make it bullet-proof that I might as well put the money into a truck ready to go.

Ron B

Ron B

Explorer
the snow was really fun (and beautiful). I haven't pulled any pictures off my video yet, but here's one somebody snapped of me playing on a rock.
Ron B

Attachments

• snowrun1.jpg
    snowrun1.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 60

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
Ron B said:
the snow was really fun (and beautiful). I haven't pulled any pictures off my video yet, but here's one somebody snapped of me playing on a rock.
Ron B

OK, now send the pic when you're on top. :D

H1 = superb app and dep angles = fun machine.

I've seen the H1's climb this rock too:

58685739-M.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles