Tents

Harmgrissom

Observer
I've got two camping trips planned with my kids in the next 6 weeks. Both two nighters. One with my son, and one with both of my daughters. The plan is to take the Jeep up northeast of Payson with my son and then up Mt. Graham with my daughters. Its basically been a while since I've been camping for less than a week with a full crew or by myself so my 10 man tent and my single tent are both no bueno here.

YAY I need to buy a new tent! :sombrero:

But I honestly don't know much about tents, especially in that stop gap size. Anyone able to throw out some ideas about brands, models etc. Looking for a 3-4 man tent. I live in Arizona so even our Winters are (usually mild) but a 3 Season tent would be awesome.

Beyond that - I'm all ears.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I still think the REI Base Camp is a really great tent. Either size 4 or 6). Fast and easy to set up (even solo). Stands up great to high winds, snow, rain proof, and KID proof. Tons of internal storage. Great ventilation with the fly on.
Here is a recent shot of my BC4 in the Sierra's:

ExPoBodie-2011-69-XL.jpg

And another more unusual photo in the California desert from earlier this year in our BC6:

1196010184_sC2Uk-XL.jpg

Last edited:

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
My two votes go to

Springbar
Nemo

Radically different approaches, both top of the line in their categories.

I have a kodiak tent. I have the 10x14 and it's a good size for our family of seven. They make smaller sizes. They are a bit cheaper than the springbar (some say slightly inferior quality but I've been satisfied). The tent goes up quickly.

Honu

lost on the mainland
I guess budget and pack size weight are issues

in that size I would also take a look at both the Howling moon sold by bundu guy here on the forum and the Campmor (not to be confused with campmor USA company) also sold by equipt1 here on the forum
http://www.equipt1.com/companies/campmor-outdoor/

http://www.bundugear.com/products/groundtents.html

along with the OZTent which seems to have quick pitch on its side :)

both are outstanding poly rip stop canvas tents and I can say that canvas is nice in this climate much cooler during the day and much more warmth retention at night also it stays dark so once can sleep in longer :)
but again the big thing they breathe much better so also not the condensation issues of nylon tents

downsides are pack weight and size of course but the upside is really worth looking into IMHO

I dont think one (between nylon and canvas) is better than the other as they both have pros cons but depends on what you are after but I do think canvas should be looked into

the ripstop poly cotton in the Africa style tents is dif than the plain cotton canvas in the springbar and kodiak I do like the african rip stop poly cotton better ? but the spring bar is well proven the kodiak seems to have a good following developing also

I can say our RTT that has shade cloth for bug screen is NICE way better privacy and way tougher than any normal screen and that is a huge advantage IMHO for durability and privacy

again comes down to budget and pack size weight

nylon packs the best and is lightest in general
cotton canvas like kodiak spring bar is the bridge to ripstop poly cotton so heavier than nylon lighter than poly cotton usually its a bit thinner feeling also ? and not quite as dark during the day
and then the poly cotton African style

having slept in all of those styles I can say poly cotton once you have it you love it for many reasons of comfort stays cooler when it needs to stays warmer when it needs to and breathes better :)

I can say I would only get a good 3 season nylon with aluminum poles no fiberglass ! and seems the $400-$500 price point in nylon needs to be met to get a good 3 season nylon again thats a rough idea :)

anyway hope this helps :)

theksmith

Explorer
my vote goes for either:

- Coleman 4 person dome style from target/walmart/big5 - they are cheap, but work fine for a season or 2, never had one leak. just throw away and replace every other season, no worries about being delicate with it since you'll toss it before long.

or

- Kodiak, Springbar, OZ or other $400+ tent that could last generations for you if you are nice to it.

i say this from the experience of having had some Colemans, then several nice REI "middle priced" tents, then finally a Kodiak Canvas. the "middle priced" may be a great compromise for some, but to me they are the worst of both worlds instead of the best. with lots of use they'll only last a few years still, but cost much more than a "cheap" tent. with them, you end up spending more money in the end than if you just spring for an "expensive" tent up front. not everyone can afford a $400+ tent, i know, so for them, get the Coleman!

and that's my 2 cents! ;)

hakalugi

expoooooo?
me too

i'm in same boat. i have a 1 man bivy and a 1 man hammock with eaglenest fly. and we have a large Eureka 6+ man with room for the whole fam and dogs on family car camping trips, and the RTT. but with cubscouts, for me + 2, i needed something in the middle. (too far for the RTT, and no way i'm hauling a 30# tent/cabin in a pack for hours)

so, time for a new tent. i found there's a jump from a 3 man with vestibule to the 4 man tents weight wise (if you stay in the same price category)

based on ease of setup, reviews, value, and space for me + 2 kids, we chose the 7'6" x 5'6" floor space (not including the vestibule, which looks useful for packs and boots). that interior size is 6" wider and longer than a queen sized mattress, for reference.

chaos-3.png

with full fly that also makes the vestibule:

chaos-fly.png

things i like:

* no rod sleeves - just snap clips
* lots of breathability (we're a 'very humid family' and like ventillation) but the fly can be cranked down to keep the cold breezes out)
* seam sealed from the factory, and they make a matching sized floor tarp for extra protection.
* the cross-roof-rod and 2 doors make the front and back equally good, so less complaining and jockeying for the front/back

http://www.amazon.com/Chaos-Tent-Pe...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

manufacturers website: http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/tents/backpacking-tents/chaos-3

so for $150 shipped from amazon, hard to beat.

Jagger1031

SE Expedition Society
my vote goes for either:

- Coleman 4 person dome style from target/walmart/big5 - they are cheap, but work fine for a season or 2, never had one leak. just throw away and replace every other season, no worries about being delicate with it since you'll toss it before long.

or

- Kodiak, Springbar, OZ or other $400+ tent that could last generations for you if you are nice to it.

i say this from the experience of having had some Colemans, then several nice REI "middle priced" tents, then finally a Kodiak Canvas. the "middle priced" may be a great compromise for some, but to me they are the worst of both worlds instead of the best. with lots of use they'll only last a few years still, but cost much more than a "cheap" tent. with them, you end up spending more money in the end than if you just spring for an "expensive" tent up front. not everyone can afford a $400+ tent, i know, so for them, get the Coleman!

and that's my 2 cents! ;)

Unless you plan on a trip to Everest or some wild solo backpacking adventure, I completely agree with the Coleman(s). Great, inexpensive family tents. We picked up the Hooligan 2 and 4 persons on really good deals online. Both under $60 each. Stayed really dry so far and plenty of camping room depending on whos going. Packs up well and the kids really like them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles