My wanna be M-416

djblanco

So i wanted a WWII Jeep trailer (M-416) and all i could find was rusty piles of crap for $1000 +. So, 2 years later im still not finished but its good enough to show.
I built the whole thing from the ground up. After going to a junk yard to get measurements and finding parts of original dimensions online i went to work. i didnt know how to weld when i started but by the time i finished the structure i had it down. I used 1/8 in steel sheet for the tub and fenders and 2x3 in tube for the frame. I built this to be a Adventure/camping, Bug out trailer, so when it is not in use for family
camping, it is loaded and ready to go. Once i got it built, before final sand and paint i took it on a 4X4 camping trip to see how it held up, well i gave it hell and im pretty sure this will outlast the jeep, its a Tank!

NOTE: I used spray paint for a reason, if i damage it, it wont be hard to do a repair and match the paint. And its cost effective.

DSCN0319.jpg

DSCN0333.jpg

DSCN0277.jpg

DSCN0279.jpg

Full size cooler and 3, 5 Gal NATO cans
DSCN0297.jpg

Mil Pintle hook and lunette
DSCN0278.jpg

The tongue is extendable if i ever want to get a canoe to throw on top
DSCN0294.jpg

DSCN0293.jpg

Rear receiver for hitch accessories
DSCN0292.jpg

3500 lb axle and springs
DSCN0283.jpg

Sealed lockable cargo area with custom ordered 23 gal water tank, 10x10 kodiak canvas tent, 3 sleeping bags w/ air mattress, complete kitchen set with REI kitchen, ax shovel and machete.
DSCN0288.jpg

Valve for water tank, mounted lower than the tank to use gravity. Once the Siphon is created, the valve works like it has a pump running water.
DSCN0281.jpg

Brass drain from a swamp cooler
DSCN0306.jpg

Barrel hinge so the top can be removed, the top also has legs so it can be used as a table.
DSCN0302.jpg

DSCN0303.jpg

Top Art
DSCN0289.jpg

Finally stuff to make room in the trailer for
DSCN0256.jpg

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Wow! great job on the trailer!! I like the fact that the lid can be used as a table, very cool!

Love the 'accessories' in the last pic! You're going to need another trailer just for the toys!

DonBeasley

Adventurer
Outstanding job!!! Well done.

The toys may fit but you will definitely need another trailer for the ammo for all of them.

Uglyduck

Adventurer
Looks great! Bet it feels good to see your hard work paying off. Love the gadsden snake, have you seen the logo with the same snake wrapped around the copper AZ star?

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
I'm very impressed with that! The thing looks like a professionally made trailer, I can't believe that was your first welding project! Very, very impressive!

djblanco

Thanks for all the great feedback. although it was my first welding job I do have about 10 years of Aircraft sheetmetal experience, but we use aluminum and rivets, not steel and welding. That experience has helped me do a good job of hiding my mistakes, like nobody told me not to weld a whole lot at once and I ended up warping One of the sides of the trailer. I fixed it by bending the tubing that I used as trim in the opposite direction, clamped it together, and well it's straight now.

Area52

Adventurer
DJ,

Where did you source the axle, what brand and did you use spacers?

If so what source/part #?

That's better than any M 416 and very well executed.

Jim

djblanco

Definitely had to use spacers, the Moab wheels won't work on regular trailer hubs without reaming up the center hole on the wheel or spacers. I went with 2" spacers and the cheapest I found was on eBay for around 60$, i just looked till i found the correct pattern. Now that I have the spacers on there all my wheels are interchangeable. As far as the axil, we have a place in town called wheel equipment and they are a trailer parts warehouse. I went to them and asked for a 3500lb axil and gave them the length I needed and the gave me the axil, I know not much help but it only cost 80$. Maby they shipp, or just look around for a 3500lb in the length you need. They measure from hub face to hub face I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior