Garmin 2106 and gps "mushroom"

mervifwdc

Adventurer
Hi,

I've got a 2106, which is a discontinued Garmin gps. I love it because you can enter co-ordinates while wearing gloves at high speed in a landrover, so i'm hoping it will work well on my expedition truck.

The fun starts however because the gps sensor is in a "mushroom" which is also discontinued https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=8630 and I'm not 100% clear about the replacement gps sensor being compatable with my older 2106 (which is actually a chartplotter).

I'm debating between using this old, but solid and bullitproof gps, Vs an Ipod with an app as my gps.

I'm not looking for autorouting, knowing where I am, and what direction it is to a given co-ordinate is ok for me. I like larger screens as you can see more of what's between you and your destination, and they are easier see as you drive.

I dont even know if the latest version of mapsource will play nice with the 2106, it's been in cold storage for a couple of years!

so, Is anyone using one of these?

Merv.

TFRI

Observer
I am currently using my ipad and iphone with MotionX GPS and MotionX HD GPS in my Jeep with a RAM mount. They both work great!! I do have to download my maps prior to my trip, but that is just part of the planning anyways. MotionX is a 1 time $3 purchase. I'm not sure how it would work with ipod without a GPS dongle. haven't tried it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior