Barn Doors on A M101a1

Dirtytires

Explorer
I was thinking how much of a PITA the gate on the trailer is. I was thinking of taking the gate and cutting it in half to see how I could make them barn doors. Kind of like the ones found on old Suburbans. Besides hinging the top and bottom of each door, how would I stiffen up the top? .....Kreg

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Keep the hardware for the barn door style wood gate intact and use that?

JPK

That was my first thought as well. No real way to stiffen the top, just have to use that pin to hold them together. Best pic I could find of the rear upper railing gate on short notice...

CD72RSgBWkKGrHqIOKpME0URskhvBBNQNKLpyFQ_3.jpg

JPK

Explorer
How about: Two upside down "L" shaped tabs welded or bolted to the rear cross member so that each side could sit on one when closed. They would keep the barndoors from sagging. The barn door hardware from the rack would keep the closed....

Last edited:

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Easiest way would be to construct a new two piece gate that fits inside the sides and is flush with the floor.
build it from 1/8" sheet aluminum with the same size reinforcing tubes to match the trailer.
The doors would sit on the inside lip of the floor and be hinged to the side walls with two hinges.

The center could be latched with a pin. simple light and useful.
You could section the original gate to fit inside the rear edge and slice it down the middle.
box the cuts and weld on hinges.

It is an easy job, just some time and thought.
Let us know the outcome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles