My trailer Build

Dirtytires

Explorer
Here is the Fill Port that i used. It cut into the side of the trailer and then I connected the large hose and a smaller vent hose. You can see in the picture where the vent is connected.

Here is the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Grav..._Camper_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43a485c4af

The bottom 2 ports were used for the pump supply and the other for the tank drain out.

View attachment 71692

I have the same one. It has a vent hole in the top of the spicket.

Dirtytires

Explorer
Mark,
I am contimplating on spliting the tail gate, barn doors. They are just to awkward to open from the inside.
I am keeping the split rims. i like them for ground clearance and roughness, When they wearout I will more than
likely put some LT tires on.
As far as others I am going to have to come up with firebox for cooking. A new cover and extend the bows by 7 inches.
Plus some basic insulation for floors, a little mosquito net for the lining of the cover, and who knows what else. I am waiting for a few cots from Chief over
at SS, but he keeps dragging his ***, due to GA Rally.

koolex11

Observer
A lot of people hate the split rims, but for expedition purposes, I think they are great. They are the only rims that enable you to change a tire in the field with only a couple of screwdrivers and a minimum of effort. Sure they can pop off, but if you take care to make the rings seat properly, filling with air slowly and tapping around the ring with a hammer, they are designed to hold themselves against the pressure of the tire. It also reduces weight. Rather than carrying a spare rim and tire, you can get away with a spare tube and tire, no real need for the rim.

joethefordguy

split rims kill

based on my experience (26+ months) as an army maintenance officer, I would not use split rims anywhere i don't have a cage for reassembly. the rim can pop off and it kills when it does. rare my be rare, but dead is dead. even if it doesn't kill, how much injury can you afford off-road?

JeepDork

Adventurer
based on my experience (26+ months) as an army maintenance officer, I would not use split rims anywhere i don't have a cage for reassembly. the rim can pop off and it kills when it does. rare my be rare, but dead is dead. even if it doesn't kill, how much injury can you afford off-road?

Very good point.

Dirtytires

Explorer
It is a good point. If they are cared for properly then there should be no problems at all. I have never heard of them actually killing anyone. I have since then removed all the goodies and turned it back into a cargo trailer and sold it. i have a nother I will be changing the rims on. This one will be for a everyday hauler. Thank for the heads up!

koolex11

Observer
I think all in all it was best to sell the trailer you had. Hopefully you got a lot for it because you made it look nice. Better to take a newer A2 (or even A3) and turn that into your camper. Parts are easier to find for the later models. And if you have spare split-ring rims around, you can get a lot for them from everybody who buys an A1 on GL. Once they realize how hard it is to find a spare, they will pay quite a bit!

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I have stalled on my build due to other family requirements.
I am asking Santa for a RTT for Christmas.
I will be using my trailer for fall activities and will continue adding a little at a time.

Keep us posted on your new trailer build.

koolex11

Observer
Looks like many of us have stalled out. I sold all but one small utility trailer and I am unable to pick up any more until Spring because I have no time off. People continue to contact me asking if I have any more trailers for sale and it kills me that I can't get one!

So I have switched gears and am now in the market for a 1985 Chevy K-10 4x4 that I can build up and play around with. I haven't abandoned my plans to build my adventure camper, but I really need a tow vehicle with a stronger engine than my Jeep, and I have decided to sell that too.

Dirtytires

Explorer
I have come to a stall as well. I have decided that I want to have a teardrop camper. So I am saving all my pennies. I am making my truck a little more off road worthy as well. I just purchased a lift for my Toyota. Tired of being a mall crawler. I have also been geting my house ready to go on the market. Need a garage and space for the parents as they are aging and my momis fighting breast cancer, So as you all ,I am at a stall as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles