Weatherstripping

timh

Explorer
I am going to be having the lid built for my trailer in the next couple of weeks and I have been looking around for weatherstripping. So far I have not found anything suitable locally. I did find a lot of options on Mcmaster-Carr but it seems pretty pricey. Before I spend the money I thought I would go to the experts (you guys) and find out based on experience what works and what doesn't. So, what seals the best? And, is there any other suppliers that I may be able to look at?

Thanks for your help guys!

timh

Explorer
The top lip of the trailer is 2x2 square and perfectly flat all the way around. The lid will be 1x1 square and flat all the way around the bottom.

sbwrench

Observer
I used the 3/4 by 1/2 first but it would not compress enough to get my lid to shut properly. I switched to the 3/4 by 3/8 and the lid shuts much nicer now.

hollaback55

Explorer
i called up martyn and mario and had them send me out the bulb seal they use for the chaser and horizon models they sell. i think it was around $1 a foot or something.

one thing to note with bulb seals, you dont want it to compress all the way or else it wont seal properly, you might have to shim the trailer top slightly to get the compression amount you want.

timh

Explorer
i called up martyn and mario and had them send me out the bulb seal they use for the chaser and horizon models they sell. i think it was around $1 a foot or something.

one thing to note with bulb seals, you dont want it to compress all the way or else it wont seal properly, you might have to shim the trailer top slightly to get the compression amount you want.

Good idea, I was thinking I might need to shim it. I think I will call AT on Monday also to inquire about their seal.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I have used this stuff from McMaster Carr. Foam rubber bulb seals style 9 with the adhesive back.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#bulb-seals/=dztthr

http://images2.mcmaster.com/Contents/gfx/large/9141k701p1l.png?ver=29931188
I used style 10 EPDM and used 3M molding adhesive tape to install it. Worked great.
Cut the corners with a fresh razor blade to form a frame and use superglue to glue the ends together.
Mine used a stainless steel piano hinge. To seal the dust out of that section I used a neoprene foam inside the hinge. Dense window weather stripping foam tape works well. That compresses thinner and keeps the dust out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz