NC to Yellowstone & Back

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Just got back from our 9 day trip to Yellowstone! Covered quite a few miles, and saw some of the most beautiful scenery, really an incredible place. We got a late start on day 1, only made it to the border or KY & IL. My goal for day 2 was Denver, so this made for a LONG drive. 1100 miles to be exact, we had a friend waiting for us to crash at his place. We made it, a little after midnight. Day 3 was Denver to Jackson Hole. What a great drive! We took the scenic route, and got a little treat when the road turned to dirt @ 9000ft. We rolled into Jackson at dusk, and scored a really nice cabin @ the Jackson Hole Campground. These things are SWEET. Really nice after a few days of driving. On day 4, we started the day with breakfast in JH, and then explored the Tetons. Standard tourist stuff, nothing off the beaten path. I decided to keep moving north, and saw that there was some primitive camping close to the south entrance of Yellowstone. Great spot right on a river!

YS1.5.JPG

It was nice to finally be sitting at camp! Later on, an FJC with an AT rolled in, so I knew it was a fellow ExPo member! They set up camp and we joined them for a few minutes at their campfire in a can. Gotta get one of those....

The next morning we entered Yellowstone, starting with the standard tourist stuff at Old Faithful. Then we drove around the park making our way to Canyon Lodge.

YS6.JPG

That night I had a trick up my sleeve, in the form of an engagement ring. :) Good times. Here's where I did it---

YS7.5.JPG

The next morning, we went kayaking on lake Yellowstone. Really cool, took a tour of the Geysers around part of the lake. We even saw a young bald eagle!

YS8.JPG

Time for camping again, so we grabbed a spot at the Grant Village CG. Nice place, nice dinner, and a nice cool night for some Zzzzzzzzz's. Our last day in the park consisted of more driving around, saw a TON of Bison, and made out way to Cody.

Van%252520leaving%252520YS.JPG

Sad to leave, but we had to get home. We drove from Cody to Mt Rushmore, and then continued on thru SD. I won't bore you with the rest, but we finally made it home last night. Here are the stats!

YS%252520odo.JPG

scoutkid

Van Builder
Hey Chris what head unit is that? Does it have GPS, too? I'm trying to find the 'perfect' in-dash GPS.

Derek24

Explorer
Nice pics! I did that same drive from Denver area to Jackson Hole into YNP exactly a year ago. Great drive. Congrats on the engagement, and awesome Van!!

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Congratulations on your engagement - what an epic location to deliver a proposal! From meeting her at the NC Overland Rally you have a real sweetie!

RandomAbstract

Adventurer
Glad you had a good trip and congratulations!

I thought I had a long drive to Yellowstone from MN. Wow.

I leave next week for the Tetons/Yellowstone. Do you happen to have the coordinates for the primitive campground just south of the Yellowstone entrance? Sounds like a perfect stop. I have stayed at Flagg Ranch before, but a spot by the river sounds much nicer.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Looks like you had an awesome trip. Glad you made it back safe and tons of Congrats on the engagement!!

Thanks!!

Hey Chris what head unit is that? Does it have GPS, too? I'm trying to find the 'perfect' in-dash GPS.

It's a Kenwood, have to look for the exact model. It's a double DIN, which is NOT for our vans. Didn't realize this until I was well into the install, so I made it work.

Nice pics! I did that same drive from Denver area to Jackson Hole into YNP exactly a year ago. Great drive. Congrats on the engagement, and awesome Van!!

Thanks Thanks Thanks!!

Congratulations on your engagement - what an epic location to deliver a proposal! From meeting her at the NC Overland Rally you have a real sweetie!

I defiantly scored! She's great, the greatest.

I leave next week for the Tetons/Yellowstone. Do you happen to have the coordinates for the primitive campground just south of the Yellowstone entrance? Sounds like a perfect stop. I have stayed at Flagg Ranch before, but a spot by the river sounds much nicer.

I don't have coordinates, but it's really easy to find. It's off of Grassy Lakes Rd, just south of the S entrance to the park.

RandomAbstract

Adventurer

I don't have coordinates, but it's really easy to find. It's off of Grassy Lakes Rd, just south of the S entrance to the park.

Found it. Thanks!

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Yep!! I didn't realize that was you. Looked like you guys were going to have some fun!

I was limping the van, just had an intercooler tube blow off. Fixed it once I got to TN. Does that white JK have portal axles under it?

97tjguzzy

Explorer
Yep!! I didn't realize that was you. Looked like you guys were going to have some fun!

I was limping the van, just had an intercooler tube blow off. Fixed it once I got to TN. Does that white JK have portal axles under it?

glad you got it fixed, we camped that night in the harmon den area and then headed up to windrock the next morning.

The JK is on stock springs, flat fenders, rock jock 60s and 40" mtrs

p90100mmm.jpg

I was secretly hoping you were heading camping in that area too haha. I wanted to check out the van again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles