Rant on my vehicles

goin camping

Explorer
How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time...

My elephants are the Suburban and the jeep. It's not that anything to be done is too big. It's that it all came at once.

The jeep needs tires, top and there is something in there somewhere that will drain the battery in two days.

The top and tires will come as the paydays do but the battery drain has me lost. Mainly because I can't plug in a toaster without shorting out the house. I'm gonna have to get some help on this.

My new to me 01 3/4 4X4 suburban has street tires and is as low to the ground in front as a half ton two wheel drive. Gotta get some tires there and raise up the front end. Oh and the front boots are starting to leak so they gotta be replaced too.

I will have tires later this month and I have to make an appointment at the shop to install the lift kit and replace the boots. That way I can take advantage of Fall in the Mojave for some camping. :ylsmoke:

After that I'll start on the jeep. One bite at a time...

bob91yj

Resident **************
You may find that replacing the entire front half shaft is cheaper than replacing just the CV boots (really). Half shafts can be had at Carquest for about $100 per side.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Yup, watch for a sale on half shafts. Sometimes reman units are as low as $50 each. And leaking grease is fine... it's when they stop leaking grease that you gotta worry... Well, so long as you're not doing deep water crossings anyway. :)
As for front lift, just crank the bars back up some. The 3/4 Burbs all seem to settle low over time. Factory bolts are usually good to get the truck level, and normally will even go an inch or so beyond level. Cranking the bolts does the same thing as replacing the keys. If you go more than 1" above where it was intended to be (yours is probably 1" low now) then you might consider longer front shocks or shock brackets. Or 3/8" plate spacers under the stock shock brackets, so you get about 1" more droop travel. :)

Camber/Caster don't change much with moderate cranking, but toe does. You can check and set it with a tape measure easily though.
C

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94