Securing a Propane Tank to the Outside of a Trailer

Hafwit

Adventurer
Other than for the ubiquitous dual tank RV racks and the forklift brackets for behemoth tanks, does anybody know of a 1) strong (e.g. metal) ; 2) secure (e.g., locking); 3) stable (tank stays in place with all manner of 4x4 travel); 4) opening (e.g. tank can be attached for travel and removed for filling); and inexpensive (<$50) option to attach a small single propane tank to an offroad trailer? I would be interested in options to mount both a 10lb Lite Cylinder (composite construction) and a steel 10lb tank as I have both and could use either for this. For the life of me, an extensive online search has been fruitless.'

Thanks,
Greg

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
co2tank5.JPG

I have an extra for sale if interested.

Matto

Observer
Hi Greg,

Not sure if it's applicable, but our trailer has a pair of gas bottles on the side wings, secured with what we call (surprisingly enough) "gas bottle holders". You can see one of the bottles in this photo:

PA250007.JPG

Mine are basically like this...
167895.jpg

...but a bit stronger built, and secured at 3 spots to the trailer.

Being metric, I've got absolutely no concept of how big a 10lb tanks is. I imagine it's roughly the size of a city block.

Good luck!
Matto :)

DonBeasley

Adventurer
Ditto on the powertank. Maybe you can convince them to fab up a 10 lb bracket. I carry tw0 5 lb. tanks, one on each side.

trailerwithpropaneandrotopax.jpg

jim65wagon

I am likewise interested in a locking bracket for a 10lb tank.....my online searching bears no fruit either.....

good luck, I'm keeping an eye to this thread:088:

Hafwit

Adventurer
Matto,
You Australians always have what I want! That would probably work for my purposes, but it is not available here in the US as far as I can tell.

Cheers,
Greg

Hafwit

Adventurer
I sent an email to a friend who is a very skilled fabricator that has done work for me in the past. I will see if he can produce something like the old style brackets made by Powertank that will fit a larger tank. If he can do so for a reasonable cost, I will get a few made. Would there be interest from anybody else, and if so, how many units are wanted and for what cost?

Thanks,
Greg

jim65wagon

I would need 2 brackets. I'm thinking 45 dollars for painted steel or 75 for an aluminum or stainless variety.

As an aside I emailed Manutec in Australia for their small gas bottle bracket. 23.25 AUS retail for the bracket and 115 AUS for shipping to Virginia.....sadly I had to decline the quote.

loren85022

Explorer
I'm looking for single 20 gal mount too. Looking to mount on tongue. Not finding much out there so likely fab something. I'm subscribed.

Last edited:

jim65wagon

mount both a 10lb Lite Cylinder (composite construction) and a steel 10lb tank as I have both

jim65wagon said:
interested in a locking bracket for a 10lb tank

lostworldexpedition said:
Adventure Trailers sells a nice one for the 5lb tank...

Yes, we know that they and several other vendors carry bracketry for a 5 lb tank....doesn't really help much when we are looking for 10lb stuff or a 20 lb as the above post is asking.....thanks anyway

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
co2tank5.JPG

I have an extra for sale if interested.

I used one of these brackets (or something very similar) for my mount. Munted it on the front of my cooler basket on my trailer then used some J-hooks and hockey pucks (for bases, cut with a groove for the tank base so they don't slip out) as "padding." The J-hooks go through the base of my trailer. Absolutely solid base, the tank doesn't go anywhere whether I'm on-road or off-road. Sorry I don't have any pictures available.

Hafwit

Adventurer
The above pictured mount works for an 8 inch diameter tank such as the CO2 tank pictured. My measurements for the tanks I have are larger and therefore the above set-up wouldn't work for my purposes.

Cheers,
Greg

Hafwit

Adventurer
I just got off the phone with my fabricator who is well-known in the Pinzgauer/military vehicle community for his exo-cages and other projects. He says that making propane tank brackets should be fairly straight-forward and the cost would depend on how robust they are made as well as what materials are used. I am thinking of something along the lines of the old style Powertank CO2 tank brackets. These are very similar to a military fire extinguisher bracket that I also have. I will be sending him pictures of these two items for his review. If anybody is wanting to have input into this, now is the time to speak up. He will be doing the initial fabrication for my units in mid-October, so there is some time to figure this out. The more people who are interested, the lower the cost will likely be.

Cheers,
Greg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne