Hot water setups

grimbo

Explorer
attachment.php

Been thinking about getting some sort of hot water setup for the trailer. Now here in Australia somewhat limited for choice. Don't want under bonnet as it will also get towed by a road car. The Primus and Coleman are available here and seem to be ok but a bit pricey and very bulky.

Have been looking at the Zodi ones and like the size and price. Also like the Ecotemp L5 any feedback on them or any other options.

Last edited:

Vince1

Adventurer
I use the camp chief triton propane water heater hooked up to a 20 gal fimco sprayer water tank and pump. It works very well and the heater comes with a shower head that has an off position, which automatically turns off the fimco pump (internal pressure switch). The 20gal tank fits easily in my m416 trailer, and has a drain spigot with hose fitting that I use to tap drinking water. Overall happy with this setup, as is the wife, but the Triton wire stand is crap and the unit works better when hung. I use it in the Cabelas shower tent, which is plenty large, but too heavy for light camping. I may replace this tent with something smaller and just build a new heater stand.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Thank You for the picture links! That is a cool trailer, I think you are off to a great start.
Keep us posted on other work.
Mark

grimbo

Explorer
Have been thinking of going down a solar route. I was initially going to run some 4" plumbing pipe on the top of the trailer to carry tent poles but now am thinking I might paint them black to heat the water inside. Plumb a tap into the front and in the back lid (fitted to a 90 degree elbow) utilize a valve and some of the tube from a bike tube. Then connect an air compressor up and voila, warm/hot pressurized water for a shower.

bob

Adventurer
f,

I actually have one in the garage, a friend who I built a box trailer for put one in the trailer. He had nothing but problems with it breaking with the solid plumbing that he wanted. I think mounting it as they designed it is fine, but anything to rigid it vibrates and breaks, and so far no way of fixing it.

grimbo

Explorer
What about mounting it to a frame that is in turn mounted by quick fists. Have had a bit of success using them as mounts for items that are susceptible to vibration

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles