Shower tents and privys

robgendreau

Explorer
Curious how long in takes for a Zodi shower water tank to cool down?

Thinking about getting one for trip down to South America.

Thanks!

I have a hot tap version, and it doesn't have a tank. The water goes through a copper coil (wonder if they still use copper?) heated by the burner. So it cools fairly quickly, especially if empty, or if you continue to run water through. But that depends on whether the water is 33 deg F or if the air is subzero or whatever. It never seemed to be significant any more than a hot stove or pots and pans.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I have a Paha Que Teepee shelter that I bought from another Expo member. I use it with a Coleman instant hot water heater (found on Craigslist) drawing from a 5 gallon plastic bucket. In really cold weather I prewarmed the water in the bucket so that the Coleman could just be turned on and off and minimize water use. A guy can get by on less than 3 gallons and gals take about 4. The Coleman is used with their shower attachment and positioned near the door of the Teepee so that the person in the shower can operate it. On the ground I use two cheap Harbor Freight anti-fatigue foam mats. They don't absorb water and are easy to dry our. Any dirt on the bottom can be knocked off easily enough when the pad is dry.

The Paha Que is roomy and well ventilated and also can be securely staked and guyed to avoid wind problems. I don't use it if I am going to be moving camp often but if I am glamping in one spot it is a nice luxury to have.

For hot showers I highly recommend reading this nice writeup of SarSquid's hot water system: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/41236-Coleman-Hot-Water-On-Demand-Review

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz