post your Suburban pics

Renntag

Adventurer
...The 6 lug front converted to Hummer H3 4 piston disk over hub brakes

jrLrEl.jpg

I'd love to use those calipers with my 8 lug set up. Nice stuff.
Do both axles have the same gear ratio?

cyclic

Adventurer
I'd love to use those calipers with my 8 lug set up. Nice stuff.
Do both axles have the same gear ratio?

Factory on my axles are 3.73 and the new rear is also a 3.73 ratio. I wish I would have had 4.10's but you work with what you got. 3.73 will be fine as I don't plan to any bigger than 33 inch on the tires, but will probably stay with the 265/70R17 tires as I really like how it sits and tire availability.

Renntag

Adventurer
4.10:1 would be ideal. I am still curious about the caliper working with an 8 lug set up. I am looking to upgrade to a Dana up front and discs all the way around. A larger front disc or more capable caliper would be a nice upgrade too.

cyclic

Adventurer
The bracket is made by THORparts, not listed you have to call. They specialize in Hummer H3 straight axle conversions. As such they have a method of adapting the disk, speed sensors, and calipers to GM 10 bolt front axles keeping the lug pattern and traction/antilock computer stuff happy. As "we" don't need the computer crap, just the bracket and the H3 parts with a little labor is an easy conversion. Bad news is the 8 lug hubs have a different off set than the 6 lug ones. Not to mention the issue finding a disk rotor that would work. The brackets ran me $50 for the set, and the H3 brake parts were pretty cheap on ebay. Machine work wise, have the outer diameter of the hub cut down to fit inside the rotors (can be done on a brake lathe), drill the hub for what ever size lugs you want to run, and drill the rotor holes if necessary.

Depends on if you actually go with a Dana 60 or stay with the 10 bolt and just convert to 8 lug. Going with a 60 is almost always overkill unless you have huge tires or do "extreme" off-roading. I looked heavily at my actual use and found the 10 bolt had MORE than enough strength for the tires and how I drive. If I ever actually break my rear late model 10 that I'm installing, I will look at a 14 bolt SFF 6 lug rear axle. The brake upgrade accomplishes what I needed WITHOUT the resistance, loss of ground clearance, and extreme weight of 1 ton axles. I do eventually plan to add stronger diff covers but really with the rear swap it comes close to the ideal 1/2 set-up. Modern brakes and easy parts replacement.

Renntag

Adventurer
Thanks for the info. My burb is v2500 and 8 lug. I have thought that a one ton axle set was a needed upgrade. I will not be doing extreme off road but am about to repower with a 6BT.
Your info makes me think I might be ok with the stock 10/14 corporate equip. There is concern about the weight over the 10 bolt.
I am going to be using this rig in a mountain area and brakes are key. I plan also for an exhaust brake to manage long decents.

Any thoughts?

cyclic

Adventurer
Thanks for the info. My burb is v2500 and 8 lug. I have thought that a one ton axle set was a needed upgrade. I will not be doing extreme off road but am about to repower with a 6BT.
Your info makes me think I might be ok with the stock 10/14 corporate equip. There is concern about the weight over the 10 bolt.
I am going to be using this rig in a mountain area and brakes are key. I plan also for an exhaust brake to manage long decents.

Any thoughts?
Ouch, no. There is no way you can put a 6BT in that truck WITHOUT using a dana 60 axle. That engine is stupid heavy. Great engine, but it's so heavy I don't even want one. I've given a little thought to a 4BT conversion (weighs about what a big block chevy weighs). But the small block works great, so the engine conversion was tossed. Your 3/4 burb weighs a bit, when you add that dodge motor, that truck is going to stop even worse than ever. I'd give some serious rethinking to the 6bt, as good of an engine as it is, it's NOT at home off road. By the time you upgrade everything to support that motor, you could have bought a running 6BT dodge and still have the burb. I actually cussed out loud when GM cancelled the 1/2 ton 6 cylinder Duramax, it was similar size and weight to current v8's with more torque and fuel economy.

cyclic

Adventurer
The more I think about it, the more it seems that if your dead set on the 6BT, you need to look at swapping transfer cases to driver side. And swap the front axle to a dodge dana 60 or a ford stupid duty 60. Axles designed to hold the weight of that motor. Plus the later model ford/dodge axles will have bigger and better brakes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz