post your Suburban pics

BradyD

Observer
You asked for an opinion: Replace the glass and leave it alone.

I know you are right I just didn't want to believe it :) thanks for your honesty. I never thought about asking the wrap manufacturer if they could lighten the image. Good thinking! I also believe that you are right about the balance of effort and gain. I guess I was just hoping someone would say "just find a set of doors and they will bolt right on"

thanks for the input.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Chili, I too liked the idea of the barn doors, for many of the same reasons. But as soon as I took one with doors on a test drive on the highway I realized it wasn't for me. I speed too often/much and there's a huge 8" wide blind spot right in the middle because of the door frames, blotting out the far trailing view where I might spot a trailing highway patrolman. Then again it took so long to find a used Sub that fit my criteria that I probably would have taken one with doors anyway.

Renntag

Adventurer
I'd buy it in a heartbeat. It looks straight.
They need more power anyway (ie: the motor is coming out no matter what).
It's a matter of whether the buyer is ok with the trans/case/axles. A cam, carb and head job should wake it up at a minimum.
A/C is easy to add.

Someone will buy it. Too far for me.

I came across this 79 burb that has been sitting in this guys yard for the last six years. Asked if he would be willing to sell it and he said, 'yes for 15 hundred dollars.' It's a 3/4 ton 4x4, 100% stock with a 350 and automatic. Bad part is that it has a stripped out starter bolt and that won't let me start it, but It looks like it could be a great rig, but I'm hesitant on pulling the trigger and just might pass on it for now and keep looking for one with AC. If anyone else is interested, let me know. View attachment 261018

I'd pass personally. I bought a 89 GMC Suburban that runs great, has full power and rear ac for $1500. Hell it came with a almost new set of BFG KTO mud terrains on it. The paint was murdered out, and the interior is red (but nice). Keep looking, there are deals to be had.

Link to said suburban
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/113230-New-1989-GMC-Suburban-project

Renntag

Adventurer
go for it you can't go wrong ...offer 700 bucks
The seller would be nuts to take that, but it won't hurt to ask. You could sell off the stuff you want to upgrade and have the rest for free at that price.

Sure, there are plenty of burbs out there, it's up to you to decide what you want and when. Once you have that sorted out, decide to pull the trigger or not. Make no mistake, there are plenty out there. We have to deal with rust issues up here. You could clean that thing up, have fun with it, then get some clever photography and sell it to someone in the north. Drive it up and fly back. You wont get rich, but you might have a benjamin in your pocket and a story to tell.

plumber mike

Adventurer
That '79 is a thousand dollar truck all day long. It'd be worth more anywhere in the rust belt.

It should have an NP205 and a full float rear:)

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
That '79 is a thousand dollar truck all day long. It'd be worth more anywhere in the rust belt.

I agree, that Burb would be worth some decent money in the salt belt. Back in 1999 or so I sold a ’76 K10 short bed that my buddy purchased in CO for $700 drug it out to Detroit where I swapped the SM465/205 from it into my ’78 K10 that had a TH350/205 and visa versa. After installing the automatic in the ’76 we sold it in Michigan for $2800. It was a pretty rough truck straight off an Eastern CO ranch with hay in the back and horse crap in the inner fenders but it was all there and not a piece of swiss cheese like the Midwest and Eastern trucks of the same vintage. Those salt belt boys aren’t scared to pay top dollar for clean metal.

It should have an NP205 and a full float rear:)

Yes, on the 14 bolt full floater but no on the NP205. You can tell by the picture it has a TH350 automatic with a full-time NP203 behind it just by the slugs on the front hubs (no lockouts). 203’s are decent transfercases once a Mile Marker part time kit installed and lock out hubs are added. The biggest problem with a 203 is they are super heavy and almost impossible to stop them from leaking oil. Plus they are chain drive which doesn't bother me but some people take issue with that. My '78 K10 had a TH350/203 when I bought it back in 1996. First thing I did was ditch the 203 and installed a 205. A few years later I swapped out the TH350/205 for the SM465/205 from the truck I mentioned above then in 2010 the SM465/205 got yanked and replaced with a NV4500/205. My truck has actually had 4 different 205's in it over the years (27 spline, 10 spline, another 27 spline behind the first NV4500 and finally a 32 spline behind NV4500 ver 2).

Buy it 4square! Everybody needs a school bus Burb!

Erik N

Adventurer
Last October

Attachments

• DSCN0882.jpg
    DSCN0882.jpg
    542.2 KB · Views: 84
  • DSCN0889.jpg
    DSCN0889.jpg
    536.4 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCN0897.JPG
    DSCN0897.JPG
    457.4 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCN0018.jpg
    DSCN0018.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCN0877.jpg
    DSCN0877.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 76

DaneHauler

I'm on my 4th Suburban. My others have been modded, but not too far, just lifts, tires, rims, brakes, sway bars, shocks. Always kept the motors mostly stock. This tme I threw caution to the wind...

This is my 2001 Chevy Suburban 2500, 8.1L long block, Whipple supercharger, 6" lift, 37" Yokohama Geolanders. Debadged, side moldings removed and repainted with 3 coats of metallic silver and clear coated. Lots of upgrades, brakes, removed bag system, electrics, MSD ignition MSD dist, MSD coil, K&N induction, Hedman long tube headers, Magnaflow exhaust with high flow cats and muffler, steering blocks, bump stops, brake lines, extra oil and tranny coolers, torque converter, valve body, clutches, driving lights, strobe lights, rear spot lights, Alpine audio/video with 2 screens, Powerflex bushings, Magnaflow, ATF, Royal Purple, Hawk bads, and a higher flow fuel system.

Needs an ARB rear locker, 4:10 gears and some other goodies...

IMG_4434_zpscb30ca6b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke