19139290110_340ae2d86a_c.jpg

19320806732_85c9d1e319_c.jpg

16451147883_4b1bf5e10e_c.jpg

18704151754_477f39e341_c.jpg

19139092610_79c69615a4_c.jpg

WrenchMonkey

Mechanical Animal
So sweet...

I dream of the day a dump truck totals my 02, and their insurance pays me enough to transplant the 8100 into a squarebody...

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
These interior pics are nice and all but I'd really be interested in seeing how some of you mod the interior of your 'Burbs. After all, you've got a huge amount of space, I'd like to see how you make the most of it: Sleeping arrangements, seating, etc.

rayra

Expedition Leader
eta nevermind, most of my stuff is still design ideas / planning sketches. Too many irons in the fire. Radio console. 2-drawer storage platform with a side mounted multi-flavor power module. ceiling rack for fishing poles. Cargo / barrier net with mounts behind both 2nd and 3rd row. my homebrew multi-configurable awning project. Got topics strewn all over about various parts of it. REd LED light strips for amateur astronomy field nights. Gonna take the rest of the year to get most of it down, I'll probably do a whole vehicle writeup then.

Last edited:

SouthTXplorer

Observer
mobile office

a concept im losing sleep over, figuring out how to work out of the back.. here's my rough sketch
half desk work mode.jpg
feel free to be brutally honest, but keep in mind im under 6ft and Im not too claustrophobic

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
These interior pics are nice and all but I'd really be interested in seeing how some of you mod the interior of your 'Burbs. After all, you've got a huge amount of space, I'd like to see how you make the most of it: Sleeping arrangements, seating, etc.

I haven’t had the need to modify the interior for sleeping or storage but I did add a neat power supply to the cargo area and added tie downs. (See post 280 in that thread). The K10 fitted with the Phoenix camper does all the long distance trips but I wanted to be able to move the National Luna fridge from the K10 to the Suburban for short trips therefore I needed power in the rear and a method of securing the fridge to the floor.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
a concept im losing sleep over, figuring out how to work out of the back.. here's my rough sketch
View attachment 292814
feel free to be brutally honest, but keep in mind im under 6ft and Im not too claustrophobic
Unless you can find a way to pop the top I don't think you'll be able to create a usable work space unless you can find a way to use one of the existing passenger foot wells in front of the back seat or in the right front passenger seat.
Anything is "possible" with a sufficient application of force and money :) but I think the question I would have is: Do you intend to make permanent modifications or will this be something that you intend to remove to restore the vehicle to it's "standard" configuration?
Because if you can make permanent and drastic changes to the interior, I think there are possibilities like figuring a way to make the front passenger seat swivel 180 degrees (like in some custom vans) so that the passenger seat could swivel around to the rear and then you could put a desk or something there.
Another major modification might be to simply remove the front passenger seat, which would then allow you to put some kind of work station in the place of the front passenger seat and then you could sit in the right rear passenger seat and work at the work station.
Other than that, I think it's going to be tough. The 'Burb is big, but it's big in length and width, not in height. Unless you're a dwarf it's going to be very difficult to create a usable work station in the cargo compartment behind the 2nd row of seats. My $0.02. ;)

justcuz

Explorer
I have no mods in the rear of mine. In the 1973, 1993 and 2000 I just remove the third seat and pack my stuff in the back.
My wife would not be happy if I 4 wheeled the 2015 since it still has less the 2,000 miles on it.
I have a cargo net I cover my stuff with when driving and at night I stack my 50 cal ammo can storage boxes under the back end and sleep inside. I live by the adage that if you need a roof rack you are carrying to much stuff.
People explore on motorcycles with minimal stuff and I used to backpack when younger, so I keep it real simple.

rayra

Expedition Leader
yeah that workspace thing probably isn't going to work, not in the back anyway. IIRC it's only about 35" tall back there, you'd have to sit on the floor, on a thin pad / futon-style. Which isn't a terrible idea. And seeted crossways, it's 49" between the interior side panels. so you could even stretch out your legs. Probably be better off using one of the 'normal' seats and some sort of lap board arrangement.

11MPG

Just an air mattress has been fine for us. I tried to figure out how to make some form of seating once but their isn't a real clean way of doing it.
IMG_20150425_100142688_zpsp1qpekuy.jpg

IMG_20150425_094900795_zps2ddomaxv.jpg

IMG_20150426_112315_zps41ul1vfe.jpg

IMG_20150411_073158_zpshjpctrc7.jpg

11MPG

Nice burb. What do you have for suspension?

Thanks. The rear has some thought put into it. 27 inch extend length shocks, 1.5 inch spacer, and a custom Panhard Bar with Heim Joints to clear the diff. Rear overall has 12 inches of travel. Air bags are for the camper. As for the front it's just extended length shocks with a key lift. Want to add Cognito upper control arms for an extra 2 inches of down travel giving the front 11 inches of travel.

I just got the rear put back together and need to find longer sway bar links. Might buy the 2010 Dodge ones and weld them to fit.

IMG_20150702_185912_zpsdbzbtt5b.jpg

IMG_20150426_193355_zpsebox2p7x.jpg

IMG_20150412_083811731_zpspsbgifjz.jpg

Last edited:

legendaryandrew

Adventurer
I'm not too up on solid axle links and their uses, but would a panhard help with a loose feeling rear end while towing? I installed a full Cognito 6", which just consists of 3.5" spacers and new shocks for the rear. Towed a '53 chev truck on a dolly a few months back, and the rear end squirmed a lot under breaking. Not a comfortable feeling....

11MPG

I'm not too up on solid axle links and their uses, but would a panhard help with a loose feeling rear end while towing? I installed a full Cognito 6", which just consists of 3.5" spacers and new shocks for the rear. Towed a '53 chev truck on a dolly a few months back, and the rear end squirmed a lot under breaking. Not a comfortable feeling....

Is your truck leafs in the rear? The GMT 800 and up platform had coils making a Panhard bar a neccesity for the rear end to work While fabbing one up for leafs could help I think you'd be better off with a simple set of air bags. Mine would squirm with the trailer but the control and ride got a lot better after I added bags inside the springs. Firestone makes a bunch of different models for the different generation suburbans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94