post your Suburban pics

justcuz

Explorer
Yes it is, I have an all Henry steel 32 roadster as well.

Nice, my neighbor is just finishing up his 32. Pulled the SBC out and installed and Ardun headed flatty. I think it may have Lincoln gears, 40 ford juice brakes and steering wheel. Chopped windshield frame and that's about it, still has the wishbones in stock condition. Was on a magazine cover in the 60's, Hot Rod I think. Picture taken at the beach, black with orange wire wheels.

Would you happen to know if the rumble seat cushions are the same as a Model A?

FBJR

Adventurer
Been lurking awhile and finally joined up. Now that I've read through this whole thing I will add my current/past projects.

1st is my old 96 1500. Did many a trip in this from Vegas, Grand Canyon to Chilliwack, BC. Had exhaust with some tuning and a nice slideout for model planes.

IMG_0078.jpg
Setup 3.jpg

Next are two 1991 Suburbans. First is a 1500 I scored for $500 with a blown rear end. It is getting a 9.5sf rear right now with a G80. Has new Cooper tires with steel wheel. Inside is mint cept the droopy headliner, just 85K miles!!!!! Front-rear AC, all power, 3rd row seat. Clean Ca V1500 and is for sale.

20140315_192128.jpg
20140328_084427.jpg

I got that for a cummins swap, but found out I had to have a 3/4 to do that, so I found one.

The 2500 was a deal at $700, with a winch, HD bumper which I sold for almost the price of the truck. Has front AC, crank windows and manual doors.

Loaded up front.jpg
Loaded up leaving.jpg

Gotta love all the space in these things as I move parts from one to the other.

shifting load small.jpg
sub shade.jpg

This will get a 92 VE cummins with 56R auto, 205, Dana 60, GM 10.5 with discs, both true trac, 6 inch lift, flip rear shackles, cross over steering. I have all this in hand, just need a little more time as I am recovering from surgeries.

Attachments

• gmc v chevy small.jpg
    gmc v chevy small.jpg
    424.6 KB · Views: 69

justcuz

Explorer
I am curious about why you needed a 3/4 ton for a square body since a diesel was offered in a 1/2 ton.
It is different for a GMT400 like your 96, since a diesel was only offered in 3/4 tons.

Either way, please post some build threads on both the Suburbans.

dieselfuel

Adventurer
Here's a current one of my Suburban.
001a575f6cdccb9f315343b36091479f.jpg

FBJR

Adventurer
I am curious about why you needed a 3/4 ton for a square body since a diesel was offered in a 1/2 ton.
It is different for a GMT400 like your 96, since a diesel was only offered in 3/4 tons.

Because the emissions needed for a 1/2 ton would need an EGR and other small items not needed on the 3/4. Plus the frame is about .020 thicker. Maybe not much, but that 1100lb motor with all the torque needs all the help it can get.

Once the swap is approved, it will never need smoging again as pre 97 diesels are excempt. Starting with a diesel would have been better, but out here they think diesel is like gold gold plating.

I have been down since last Dec with medical issues, just getting back on my feet now. I have threads going in other forums, but not sure about links here and pictures here are sort of a bare to post, but will tease some as I go.

lt1fire

Adventurer

Actually every year the suburban got a diesel it was also offered in a 1/2 ton.

He most likely is after the slightly thicker frame, sine the 6bt is a good 350lbs heavier than a 6.2 or 6.5.

FBJR

Adventurer
The thicker frame is a plus, but the 6BT only came in a 3/4 ton or more truck. Per CARB regs here in Kali the engine swap must be of the same type vehicle family (3/4=3/4, truck motor to truck motor) and be of the same year or newer. I could not put a 6BT in a 1/2 ton truck, but I could put a 6.2 or 6.5 in it with EGR.

Can't put a 500 caddy into a Sub since the 500 is a car motor even though the Sub does can have a BB "truck" motor. Kinda funny really as the the Sub is called a utilty, not a truck but is classified as a truck. Has to do with windows and seats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior