ExPo Build Project: Salsa Fargo

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Safe travels and hopefully you'll pedal in by Friday, Flounder? I'd really like to see this beauty in person. For some reason when I see those handlebars, I always think of Jacquie Phelan and the Wombats.

Todd Z.
I should be at OvExpo by late Friday. I'm going up in one 115 mile day and back in one 95 mile day, so it should make for a great shake-down cruise for the new build.

Jay H

servicedriven.org
Cool I will be one of the expo camp ground hosts. I will have my fargo around. I have to suggest my favorite bit of free Fargo bling. The rear drop outs are cast stainless but the salsa logo is covered in paint. A little time with a dremmel and some polish brings out the bling. Its not silly bling it looks classy like an old carved lug frame. I polished mine to a nice shine and really like the results.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Jay, I have very little time in my day. Certainly not enough time to polish the Salsa logo on my dropouts.

Doesn't mean I'm not going to do it, though! Thanks for the suggestion!

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Christophe,
After we talked I think taking advantage of all the mountain bike parts I and others have is the way to go in building a "commutercyclocrosserroadie-ish" bike.
Any other frames out there you'd consider looking for on the used market?

The theme of this build is cheap, cheaper and what's money.

I have a set of wheels and some SS sprockets so far. I have a long way to go.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Christophe,
After we talked I think taking advantage of all the mountain bike parts I and others have is the way to go in building a "commutercyclocrosserroadie-ish" bike.
Any other frames out there you'd consider looking for on the used market?

The theme of this build is cheap, cheaper and what's money.

I have a set of wheels and some SS sprockets so far. I have a long way to go.
If not used, cheap new frames might include the Surly Ogre or the funky Origin8 bike like the one Steve Reynolds commutes on...not that he commutes. Give him hell for that one, when you see him. :) Speaking of Steve, you might ask him what he's got planned for his Kona Unit frame he's not using now. Who knows, maybe that has potential. It does have a hanger and cable guides.

...and I have some sweet Pearlizumi arm warmers I could throw in for free. :)

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
If not used, cheap new frames might include the Surly Ogre or the funky Origin8 bike like the one Steve Reynolds commutes on...not that he commutes. Give him hell for that one, when you see him. :) Speaking of Steve, you might ask him what he's got planned for his Kona Unit frame he's not using now. Who knows, maybe that has potential. It does have a hanger and cable guides.

...and I have some sweet Pearlizumi arm warmers I could throw in for free. :)

Haha, Oh I will definitely give Steve a hard time on that one!!! Those Fargo frames are pretty! I think on Monday a trip to the LBS is in order to see what sort of price I can get on a frame. WAIT, are they super sweet lightly used arm warmers???? I AM IN!
Haha! See you at expo senor! If the missus isn't going and you'd like something waiting for you in Flag to make life a little easier let me know. (beer, food, etc etc) I'll be heading up earlier in the week to do some prep on the driving course etc.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
The Race Whip

Well, I said it would be part of this project. I said I'd strap a number on this bike and take it out on a proper race course. Mission accomplished, but not entirely successful.

I found a race I thought would suit this bike, the Barn Burner 104 in Flagstaff, AZ. The course was all service road, mostly pretty tame, but also home to some pretty rough and rocky sections. Trying to knock down 104 miles at race pace on what amounts to my commuter, touring, and adventuring bike was for lack of a better word - stupid. Okay, perhaps not entirely daft, but sweet fancy Moses did I feel like a whipped pig after the first 50 miles. The Fargo is a wonderful machine, don't get me wrong. She loves a good challenge, but I think she's best left unadorned with race digits. Ultimately, the Fargo can handle the task of racing, but it's just not designed for fast performance riding. Maybe an ultra, ultra race with a tempo more akin to an epic saunter. Putting it on a start line and sprinting it to the front of a group of hot-bloods, it was just out of place. Like a Defender 110 on a WRC rally course, it was just begging to get off into the sticks where it could slow the hell down.

But, it was worth a try.

Commuter? Check.
Daily singletracker? Check.
Touring bike? Check.
Race whip? ......semi, sorta, kinda check.

RaceFargo.jpg

LawnJockey

How is your Fargo doing? Your experiences sound like mine. My Fargo keeps getting reinvented, right now it is set up for fully loaded touring.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
The project Fargo is still rockin'. It's currently in commuter mode once again, although I'm ready to mount up the knobbies again and use it for some winter time exploring.

LawnJockey

Cool. I will have to post some pictures of mine. It is a Fargo II. I got rid of the compact double and put a tripple on it with the granny being 22T. Geared for climbing trees. It also has a Brooks B17 saddle. Front and rear Surly Nice Racks, heavy but bomb proof. Bar end shifters and interupter brake levers. Crank Bros Candy pedals. Planet Bike fenders and Marathon tires. It is in loaded touring mode right now.

I trashed my road frame a few months back so the Fargo is my daily ride, that is when I am not going crazy on my Van Dessel Gin and Trmbones CX bike. I used the Fargo elk hunting in Utah this year. With the closing of more and more forest roads the use of an off road bicycle can really enhance your hunting. I also have an older Litespeed 26" mountain bike and I go to say there is a big difference riding over washboard on a 29er. I don't think I have ridden the Litespeed more than a couple times in the past two years.

The Fargo is a cross between a tank and a burro. Salsa likes to say it can do it all. It is true, even though it is a bit heavy and sometimes a bit slower, like an old Power Wagon.

nebep

I'll try this here. I'm thinking about a Fargo (actually a frame) and not sure about frame size. I'm 6'0" I normally ride a 59cm road bike with a 58-59cm top tube. Kinda long in the arms. I'm thinking a large would be about right. None in stock local to check out that I can find.
I haven't bought a mountain bike in many years so have no experience with 29'ers and sizing. The current old school ride this would replace is a 21" frame Specialized Rockcombo.

I'd appreciate any feedback on sizing these bikes.

Check with Spokes, ETC in Vienna - ask for Jeff. It took time but he brought in a large and XL for me to check out before "decision time". EXCELLENT to work with!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles