ExPo Build Project: Salsa Fargo

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
As the season comes to a close, I thought it would be fun to start a fresh ExPo bike project. We have a blank canvas to work with here. The frame is a 2012 Salsa Fargo "adventure bike" frame. This will be a ton of fun to build, and serious fun to ride. I honestly haven't put much thought into the build-out yet. I'd like for this to be the most versitile bike possible. I'm shooting for a bike that can do the following tricks:

• Commute to work daily.
  • Navigate technical singletrack with a light load.
  • Ride with enough comfort to knock down 8 hour rides day after day.

Not sure if I'm going 3x9, 1x9, Alfine internal, or even 2x10. I would like it to be light and spry, and not ride like a lumbering ox. Not sure if it will have drop bars, H-bars, strait bars..... Lots up in the air at this point.

What say you?

fargo2-1.jpg

fargo4.jpg

fargo1.jpg

Adventure by bicycle. Sounds like just good advice.

http://www.salsacycles.com/bikes/fargo/

bikes_fargo_comp11.jpg

Last edited:

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Sweet!
On a commuter I would go with the Alfine 11! On a touring bike, I would say that the gear range is not low enough... As you know, I have one, love it but think that it's not quiet there to be a great touring set up.

Other then that:
Brooks
Tubus
Schwalbe and you are set :)

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I've struggled with the tire selection with this rig. I'd like something that can knock down big miles, so lean and fast would be great. I ride Kenda Slant 6 cyclocross tires on my Yeti cyclocrosser, so maybe some 2.O slant 6 tires on this rig would be worth a shot.

Victorian, which Schwalbe tires do you run?

By the way, this is easily the craziest looking fork I've ever seen. I could mount $400 worth of doo-dads on just the fork alone with all the provided braze-ons.

sven

Adventurer
Sweet frame! I'm lusting over the Salsa Vaya myself. The Vaya seems to be a more road oriented version of the Fargo, but can still fit wide tires. Id run the Schwalbe Extremes in 700X40 on the Vaya.

I have the Marathon Plus 700X32 on my commuter, and there arent the greatest offroad. Might switch back to my cheap Kenda CX tires.

Jay H

servicedriven.org
Another fargo rider here. I run soma dirt drop bars, tektro long pull levers and bb7. I like my soma bars a lot they have a real shallow drop. I also run dura ace bar end shifters. I have 2 sets of wheels one with wtb pathway 700x32 and another with wtb wierwolf lt 29x2.55. Such a versatile bike. I really like the huge wtb rubber.

The mile long chain stays and low bottom brackett make the fargo crazy, 30pack in paniersans no hands stable.

You will like this bike.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
As with any build, I started with a quick dig in my basement for orphan parts. I found these still in the boxes:

wheels.jpg
Crank Bro Cobalt 29er wheelset.

Seems like a weird combi - Fargo and Cobalts. But, they're in the basement and clawing to get out, so who knows.

Alltwistedup

Observer
I am digging that laid back, load me up look of that frame. I ride a Salsa Las Cruces with 3 sets of tires dirt, dirt to the road and all road. I choose to build it up for all levels with strong wheels, disc brakes, drop bars, medium sized double road rings in the front and a wide gear range in the rear. Like the Tortoise and the Hare. My roady neighbor can drop me on a ride with speed, but I can take the gravel roads and beat him home.

toddz69

Explorer
Once you get it assembled, you can wear this when you go for a ride :). Threadbare vintage from the Ross Shafer days.

Todd Z.

salsa.jpg

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
I don't know how I missed this. I really look forward to seeing how this progresses. I'm in the market for a new 'do it all' as well and the Fargo was one that came up. I have read a few complaints about the BB height compared to other set-ups off road, but not many....those who have them seem to love them.

My current requirements are a bit different from yours:

1. commuting
2. On/off road touring

I plan on keeping my Voo Doo for the trails and super-light bikepacking, but I am on the hunt for an all around tourer that can get me both on (mostly) and off (think forest and minor trails) road.

Do the Alfine and be my guinea pig! :sombrero:

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
Those Fargo's are really neat! I have a similar idea in my Surly Crosscheck. I run 3x9 w/ 30,40,50 tooth chainrings and a custom stacked 13-30 cassette. I run 29x1.75 tires on this rig, and I find that gearing is great for road and trail with a decent load. I've experimented with several handlebar settups on this bike, and a few months ago I switched to the Origin8 Spacebar Offroad. I run it upside down with barends mounted really far in. Good leverage and lots of hand positions. I normally don't run gripshift, but I didn't like the angle of shimano shifters/my fingers/grip with these bars.

Have fun with it!

-Chris
surlybars1.jpg

surlybars2.jpg

surlybars3.jpg

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
That is one kooky bar set up, Mike. I totally love it. I was thinking of running Civia's commuter bars upside down to create a "drop" mustache bar.

There have been some interesting Interbike related developments with this project as of late. We've taken on a new partner in this build adventure. It's going to be really fantastic. The Crank Brother Cobalt wheels go back in the box.

We're going in a much different direction now. :bike_rider:

I'm now on the search for rims, tires, and bars.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles