Skersfan's New Shuttle Pod Trailer Build...

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
The Shuttle Pod... Ouray Base Camp... This thing has spawned several names already. Since the builder was kind enough to share his build with me I'm returning the favor by posting it for him.

Skersfan - Here is the frame for my new trailer. It will be a sleep inside deal. Very aggressive tear drop type, but looks like the space shuttle, fiberglass walls, sleep inside, air conditioning, temperpedic mattress, heat, hot & cold water,stove, fridge, spare tire, generators(2). Hope to have it rolling by Thrill On The Hill

Ourayshuttle0041-1.jpg

Ourayshuttle0021-1.jpg

Skersfan - This trailer will set the off road group on its ear I think. Nothing like it. The only problem is the width, so it will most likely become a base camp trailer, capable of any road, but to wide for some trails. Still a slight bit narrower than the FJ Cruiser, but not as trail worthy as my expedition trailers.
Ouraybasecampwallconstruction0031.jpg

Skersfan - I should have walls done today, they are being bent at All Pro. I am stopping at Stellar trailers today to look at the fiberglass panels. If they are what I want I will order them Thursday with a one week turn around.
Ouraybasecampwallconstruction0051a.jpg

Skersfan - The water tanks are under the trailer, and will have access from inside the trailer, under a trap door. 22 gallons of water at axle level will help stability of the trailer for sure. I am very excited about this trailer.
Ouraybasecampwallconstruction0041.jpg

OurayBaseCamptrailer0051.jpg

ouraybasecampwoodwallsgoingin0061.jpg

ouraybasecampwoodwallsgoingin0021.jpg

ouraybasecampwoodwallsgoingin0051.jpg

Skersfan - Trailer is coming along quite well. Waiting on some parts to put in, stove, water heater, shower. The tanks are in and set under the floor. The back wall is up, but have noticed a correction needed on the roof. Will have to cut the front cross member and move it forward 1/5 inch. The wiring will be the next project, speaker wires for outdoor speaker, upper marker lights, porch light, outside lights, and interrior lights.

ouraybasecampwoodwallsgoingin0031.jpg

ouraybasecampwoodwallsgoingin0041.jpg

ouraybasecampwoodwallsgoingin0011.jpg

Last edited:

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Skersfan - Picked up plywood for the walls and roof today, picked up hot water heater. Should have the shower, water heater door, stove and sink tomorrow. Hope to have them in by tomorrow nite. I have not heard from the glass guys for the walls, so will give them a call tomorrow.
0824111830.jpg

0824111900.jpg

0824111832.jpg

More to come...

Last edited:

indiedog

Adventurer
Very very interesting. Looks like the mother of all off road teardrops about to be born! :sombrero: Keen to see the rest.

Oh, and how cool is that garage!!!!! :Wow1:

tassie tiger

Forget the camper......whats the story with that way out shed...

Never seen anything like that down under. Can you tell me what the design is called or maybe a link?

cool camper too!

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Fantastic build and excellent workmanship !!!!! Cant wait to see the finishes come together.

Coming from one of the best DIY builders, that is high praise. I'll be sure to pass it along, Pat.

Definitely a unique size. Any chance there's drawings of the design?

I haven't seen any drawings and I'm not even sure there are any other than napkin scribblings, 'cause this thing went together fast. Skersfan is in California while I am in Texas, and we have only corresponded over the net. I'll post some of his remarks from another forum in a bit.

Very very interesting. Looks like the mother of all off road teardrops about to be born! :sombrero: Keen to see the rest. Oh, and how cool is that garage!!!!! :Wow1:

Forget the camper......whats the story with that way out shed... Never seen anything like that down under. Can you tell me what the design is called or maybe a link? Cool camper too!

G'day fellas! The builder tells me the only thing holding this trailer back from serious hardcore trails is the sheer size. He designed this one for actual comfort and convenience, hence the largeish outer dimensions. However, he does say that it is strong enough to dragged anywhere as long as it can squeeze through.

The building is a pretty common design here in the states, and there are lots of companies that make them. Some can be installed/erected for you and some can even be shipped in as kits for the owner to tackle themselves. Here's a few links I found for you...
http://futuresteel.com/
http://usbuildingsdirect.com/
http://www.olympiabuildings.com/residential-metal-buildings.htm

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
On with the pictures...

0824111513b.jpg

That's his previous trailer build above at the right.

0824111708.jpg

0824111514a.jpg

0824111518a.jpg

0824111514-1.jpg

Last edited:

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
ourayfiberglasswallsgoingonwithdoor0051-1.jpg

ourayfiberglasswallsgoingonwithdoor0021.jpg

OURAYsecondwallandaccessdoors0061-1.jpg

OURAYsecondwallandaccessdoors0071-1.jpg

:drool:
And it's time to let the builder chime in here... I have taken his comments and added to the appropriate set of pictures, so be sure to go back to the beginning to get the story behind the build in his words. Apologies to all for not inserting them before.

Last edited:

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
I 've got a few more pictures to post next, but first here's the latest info...

From 09/01/11
Skersfan - overall length tip to tail 161 inches. Height is just under 7 foot and width is 80 inches.

It is structurally strong enough to go anywhere. But due to the width, trails like the Rubicon, John Bull and others would be off limits. Towing it up Imogene Pass or Engineer Pass in Ouray would be no problem. I weighed it this morning and it hit the scale at 1400lbs with 20 gallons of water on board. My guess fully loaded it will hit 2000lbs and the axles are set up for 2700lbs.

It seems easier to tow than the box expedition trailers and I am thinking it is because of the nose on the trailer. Less wind drag. I hope to find that out by gas mileage.

I have towed it around and it will stay arrow straight at 90mph. It tows in the narrowest of drive-thru lanes. I have not had it off road yet.

It has a tempurpedic type mattress in it. and the whole front is the bedroom like any tear drop. Memory foam is 8 inches thick.

I will try to get some more pictures of the back to you guys tonight. I built the door and now have to skin it with the fiberglass.

Still a lot of work to do on it. But it is pretty quick to build compared to the box expedition trailers. And more cost affective for the builder as far as time committed.

Sleeping is a 75 inch by 48 inch area. It will have stereo, TV and lights inside. I am putting a Restava memory foam mattress in it. That will make it seem wider due to the fact that you normally do not move around much on that type of mattress.

It is wired for air conditioning with heat strip, but that is out of my budget at the moment. I am waiting on ARB awning to finish it. The top will be rubber like the new motor homes and trailers. Want to be sure to tie it all in together and not have to take the awning off.

I will be able to work on it a little tomorrow I hope, but then I am off to Utah for ten days. I will follow the thread while on vacation when possible, so if there are any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Last edited:

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
From 09/11/11
Skersfan - Got back this morning and have worked on it most of the day. The back door is nearly finished, with trim and seal. Still have to do the bottom of it, but will pick us some aluminum angle for the bottom. ARB awning will not get here until after the 25th, so I am starting on the top as we speak. Have a good start, will hopefully finish it tonight and have it at the bed-liner shop in the morning. Screwed up on the tire carrier, as I had the trailer setting sideways in the garage, it has a forward slant for water to run out so I welded the main bar slightly crooked, will fix it tonight also. May have time to work on it tomorrow if possible.

Still have the 120 wiring and some 12 volt to do. Trying to decide if it needs a center license plate holder with light. I am beginning to think the back is to blah for me.

Will check on the graphics for it tomorrow also. They will come as standard feature, and will be color matched to the tow vehicle. Still have some plumbing left, but after tonight I should be able to use it if necessary.

There are things on it that will be changed on the production/sale model. Just things that I do not like, but wanted to get the basic idea out to try and see how it all works.

I am putting foam rubber on the roof for insulation. It is high quality and supposed to last 30 years, I will have rolled it several times by then would be my guess.

Any comments or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I had planned on outside water access, but the wife nixed that idea. May put a single faucet for draining the tanks quickly. I have not figured out the plumbing for the sink yet. May use a small holding tank in the bottom or try to figure one out under the trailer.

Still have stereo to wire and install, TV cable to run and access from outside to it. Will pick up CB for it and a flag holder.

Last edited:

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
You said it, Corey. :iagree: By this point the bedliner had been applied and all the protective plastic had been peeled off the outer skin so this thing's really looking sharp. I'm really digging the serious BASE-CAMP nature of the build. Water, twin generators, recessed lighting, outdoor speakers, CB Radio, and an 8-inch thick memory foam mattress?.. My apartment should be so well appointed (I just have track lighting). :D
rhinoliningplasticremovedfromouterfiberglass009-1.jpg

rhinoliningplasticremovedfromouterfiberglass005-1.jpg

rhinoliningplasticremovedfromouterfiberglass002-1.jpg

rhinoliningplasticremovedfromouterfiberglass003-1.jpg

rhinoliningplasticremovedfromouterfiberglass004-1.jpg

rhinoliningplasticremovedfromouterfiberglass001-1.jpg

Sorry... Got to stop for a sec and :drool: some more...
Don't know about the rest of you, but I'm looking forward to seeing the completed kitchen and interior, some vinyl graphics splashed down the front and sides (color-coordinated to his truck), and this thing set up at an outdoor location with the ARB awning deployed. :friday:
Any suggestions on a design for the back door?

Last edited:

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
YUUUUMMMMMMMYYY!!:wings:

Tell him to double and triple check all seams with silicone...the water has a tendency to blow in every possible crack when driving 65mph in a thunderstorm.:ylsmoke:

What a fantastic build!!:victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles