Quick Axel and lift help

joearod524

Let me start off by saying that I am "trailer dumb." I recently bought an MBT that I had planned on spending about the next six months doing a budget build on. Well, I'm active duty military and I just got orders to Utah :victory:. But now I have about a month and a half to get this thing ready to be pulled from MS to SLC. I'd love some advice from all you experienced folks.

I'd like to get a new axle with brakes and a 5x5 lug pattern to match my '07 Jeep JK. Then I want to put some 33x12.5 BFG KM2s on there. What I'd really like to know is where to start my search for the axle (manufacturer/dealer), the width, and what kind of springs to look for. I don't think I want to do a spring over and I don't have the cash to throw down on some fancy air bag set-up.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and I apologize for not taking the time to dig deep into the site to figure this stuff out for myself. I'm just really feeling like there is a time crunch when I think about any shipping times that could be involved.

Just to throw it out there:
IMG_4512.jpg

Woods

Explorer
This should be pretty standard stuff. I'd check out the usual suspects. Northern Tool, JC Whitney, Redneck trailer supply, then check with R and P Carriages.
R and P
431 N Main Street
Seneca, IL 61360
815/357-3292

I've been buying all my parts from R an P and have been happy with them.

JC Whitney and Northern will have some standard off the shelf stuff that may or may not fit. Redneck will build what ever you want and at a fair price. Not certain, but I think R and P is off the shelf stuff too.

Stick with the smallest springs that you can mount on a 3,500 lb. axle. The smallest axle you'll find to work is the 3,500 lb. as those are the only hubs that you'll find with a 5 on 5 bolt pattern. It looks like you've got some spring mounts on there already. You'll need to figure out the axle width yourself. If you're plan is to use your JK spare, as your trailer spare, you'll need to pay attention to wheel back spacing. The JK has 6" of BS from the factory and that's a lot. Eg. if you built your trailer to utilize a 4" BS wheel, you'll need a spacer to get the JK spare to fit. Use wheels with the same BS and you'll be fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles