Newest Max Coupler

gabepari

Explorer
We were fortunate enough to have Chris from Kilby, the designer and manufacturer of the Max Coupler, stop by this morning and drop off the very first run his newest couplers. They have been significantly redesigned to meet an SAE J684 rating of 10,000 pounds. Testing results are still being compiled, hence the 6,000 pound rating on the first few production pieces, but for most of us on this forum 6K is plenty :)

The redesigned coupler uses less parts to decrease the stack height of the pivot and create a smaller lever arm, and more material in the higher stress areas, what this means to the end user is that it's easier to install and stronger at the same time.

We have a few in stock for $225 (fortunately for you guys the retail price has not changed with the redesign) plus shipping.

46_lg.jpg

Last edited:

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
So... The horizontal axis and vertical axis are pretty obvious. I'm guessing the rotational axis is within the square tube section where the grease fitting is?
May be a silly question, but I just wanted to be sure...

gabepari

Explorer
Yes, the square stock has a unrestricted pivot between the two parts forward of the zerk fitting. The operation of the new version is exactly the same as the old one, just redesigned for easier installation and more strength.

Gabe

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Very nice! Glad to see improvement in strength and ease of install at the same price point. Kudos to Chris from Kilby for accomplishing that, as i know there's great money spent on testing, R&D and manufacturing the new pieces. Hey i may have to switch my old Lock N Roll over someday :D

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Very nice; it's getting prettier in each incarnation.

I regret selling my first "prototype" though. It was sorta cool with the exposed threaded stock haging out.

'05TJLWBRUBY

Adventurer
So with the grease fitting-is there a bushing in there? Kind/Type? Is this a serviceable unit now? I don't see any delrin or similar material used as a spacer/wear guard here-steel on steel be OK with just paint or am I missing something? Perhaps on the bottom of the thicker plate for the vehicle end?

Nice to see a new design without a massive price increase.

Best of Luck,

Mike

Greenmonkey

Adventurer
Ya I would also like to know if it is rebuildable. If it starts to get some wear and a little loose can u tighten things up again?

gabepari

Explorer
Bump, for a good question.

Never seen that video, but I can say that I have never seen one that loose.

Regardless, I talked to Chris today. He said that the new design allows for a completely different fixturing method for assembly. Hence the tolerances are much tighter and extremely more consistent for the guys building them. "Flyers", if you will, are a thing of the past.

I have close to 9,000 thousand miles on my original Max Coupler and it is as tight as it was the day I installed it. I will be installing one on Mr. Druck's trailer on Monday, to replace his beat up and worn out LNR. I will post up my impressions compared to the old MC.

AFIK, the new coupler is not "user" rebuild-able or adjustable. Personally, I don't see a problem with it. While it would be nice to be able to "mess" with it, most people would probably screw it up. Heck, some people can't even install them right :coffeedrink:

Chris is a cool guy, if you have any other questions look him up at Kilby. I'm sure he'd be happy to chat.

Gabe

Hannibal USA

Adventurer
Chris is a cool guy, if you have any other questions look him up at Kilby. I'm sure he'd be happy to chat.

Gabe

I love the fact as we all know that the real manufacture is being acknowledged as the true designer of the Max-coupler, Super nice product.

x2 on messing up the install...:Wow1:

TacoDell

Adventurer
Never seen that video, but I can say that I have never seen one that loose.
My 6K# MC when new... demonstrated the same movement,
as shown in the video...

Had a trail run deadline and the Orig. shipment got boogered to the wrong addy
so... Chris personally delivered his 2nd gen 6K# coupler to my house...
...said he was driving thru my area in route to other business.
Likeable person... takes great pride in his product...
always the salesman... even tho' I'd already bought in LoL

I later spoke with Chris via LL and inquired about the vertical slop or play found at the 360* shaft assembly
I thought the play seemed somewhat excessive for new product.

Chris was very cool to me...
he mailed me an replacement coupler to compare with and allowed me choice on which had the least amount of vertical shaft movement
Plus... the boogered shipment showed up at my door as well.
so I had three MC couplers to compare to each other.

to my surprise...
I found that all three of the 2nd Gen. 6K# couplers had an equal amount of vertical shaft play / movement.
so... I kept my original and returned the other two.

Chris assured me the coupler wouldn't prematurely wear or come apart...
still... I was somewhat disappointed with the play at the 360* assembly
and the noise associated with that... regardless of grease packing.

As of current and with a few moderate trails rolled...
I have found my 2nd gen 6K# Max C. to be noisier then I would have expected.
still, it offers up smoother articulation, less noise, then did my 5T pintle hitch W/ 360* lunette

wouldn't mind trading up to the redesign...
if... it had less play in the 360* assembly, then the previous design. ??

warranty/recall ? :p

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I love the fact as we all know that the real manufacture is being acknowledged as the true designer of the Max-coupler, Super nice product.

x2 on messing up the install...:Wow1:

I think people made an assumption that the Max Coupler was built by AT, but this has never been the case. We have a long history with Chris from Kilby which stretches back to when he came to us as a frustrated trailer owner who couldn't get a Lock-N-Roll coupler due to production difficulties at Great Lakes Forge.

Chris walked in the door and said he had a better design, and if he could make the coupler would we be interested in selling it. After looking at the design and seeing it's potential we agreed it was not only good enough to sell, but that we'd steer him to manufacturers and test facilities that would speed the process along.

Over the years we have imported couplers from around the world, studied coupler designs, and drawn up our own designs, so we had all the contacts that Chris needed for the project. Often when your doing R&D it's not the concept that holds you up, it's finding the suppliers and trying to understand and meet regulations that slows you down.

We were more than happy to help the project along and offer advise, but the driving force behind the Max Coupler is Chris from Kilby.

We really like the new design of coupler, and have been consulting with Chris over the past few days requesting some minor chances in the next batch that will help increase the couplers functionality for our trailers. As with all good product they are constantly being improved upon and the Max Coupler is no exception.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior