OBA using a York comp and AC motor?

bansil

Adventurer
I can not fit the York under my hood and get a belt to it, so I have a problem

I don't like the amps drawn when using 12V "winch" motors to power a York compressor

Can I use a 1/4HP 110 motor (used for 36" industrial fans) and run a 1 to 1 sized pulley
1750 rpms at 1.5 (4.9 FULL LOAD RATING) amps?

I could run this off my invertor for the limited amount of time it would be running filling a tank up.

air tools,air for tires and all the other "neat" uses

And with a switch to bleed of system pressure behind the one way valve(cant remember name-un load switch? or something)

It would then cycle on w/o alot of torque needed right???

Just sitting at work thinking

If this is possible it also opens a door for a cheap JY AC unit for trailers and small campers

TIA

Sorry for double posting, I have asked a moderator to delete the thread in general vehicle mods.
After 70 views and no flaming or advice i figured it might work better here

the dude

Adventurer
You won't have the same load on the york as you would with a winch so the draw should be much less. It is also inefficient to go from DC-AC. The 500+ watts of the inverter is going to pull 50amps or so? Not sure you're any better off. Actually, I don't think 1/4hp will be enough to power the pump to full capacity.

Stick with an AC motor.

bansil

Adventurer
from what I've seen 180 amps from winch motors on 12v is alot (OBA setups like the oasis)

I didn't realize that the invertor would pull that much but isn't 50 amps from the battery better than 180?

I was thinking of mounting the york on top of the motor basically have a 10x10 foot print maybe 18" high and mount it on rear bumper when traveling or exploring(my rear bumper is kinda off the wall weird.)

Last edited:

jjohnsonphx

Observer
Check out my compressor build link below. You might pull 50A off an inverter to run a 1/4 HP AC motor. But that motor will strain to turn a York when the pressure gets up to max. As the York works harder to make pressure the motor will have to work harder to turn the York. You will need 1 to 2 HP to turn the York depending on the highest pressure you need. The one I built is a 2 HP 24/12V motor direct drive. It pulls about 150 to 200A depending on what I have the pressure cut out set at. Any way you go, a good DC Air Compressor will draw a lot of amps but will be more efficient than converting DC to AC. When I need air tools or to run the compressor for more than 2 to 3 minutes, I run my vehicle to keep the battery charged. I just consider it the cost of having a air compressor that can get the job done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94