Has anyone replaced their belt driven A/C compressor with an electric model?

majornerd

My RRC A/C no longer pumps cold air (holds pressure, but needs a flush and charge) and I was thinking of replacing the belt driven unit with electric, utilizing the available pully space for either OBA or a second alternator. I am not having much luck finding information about how to do this and what is needed (other than this: http://www.evdrive.com/bmw_project/airconditioning.html)

Do you have any information that could be helpful?

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Your?

Nifty idea!

However, very pricey guessing around $3k+ US when done. You can add another alternator using universal brackets to all but the most crowded engine bays, research dual alternators.

Many of the newer ac condensers cannot be flushed as they are plate fin configuration and would need to be replaced. If you compressor failed you would need to pull everything apart to clean, inspect and/or replace parts as needed, replace accumulator/expansion valve whichever you have, then onto the condenser if it can be flushed then go for it, finally if you don't pull everything apart then install inline filters universal type into line before the orifice tube or expansion valve going to evaporator the filter will then help stop another failure of the compressor due to contamination of cooling medium.

Keep us informed if you go forward with this, good luck.

Last edited:

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
The first thing I did when I got my TJ, was replace my AC with a second high output alternator. Had local welder make an adjustable base. I knew I was going to run my TJ with a bikini and soft half doors so AC was not a priority. Sold AC and paid for alternator.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

chasespeed

Explorer
Okay, I would look at the DC version, 700ish IIRC, then the controller, another 400ish.

As far as a flush? Huh? only time we FLUSH anything, is after a compresser burnout, or a HEAVY mechanical failure. THEN, we put acid dryers, and suction filters in(one to absorb any acid left after the flush, and the other to protect the new compressor). Even then, they come out after a couple weeks.

Almost every vehicle with have an accumulator... because, the a/c runs in defrost(think winter), and you dont want liquid going into a compressor, it becomes a pump, and it wont like it. Your expansion device, may vary, but, the filter should be between the condenser, and the expansion device(EVERY refrigeration system has one).

So, long story short, I have no idea what they are telling you for a flush.

SO.... basic things first... see if your compressor is spinning. if so, see if the lines are hot and cold... if so... open the heater box, and clean your evaporator. they get plugged... and you will never feel cool air.

SO... save yourself some money, and start with the simple things you can do yourself. I did this with Phil's(StreakerFreak), and it solved all his problems, after some auto wrench was telling him ________.

I do this every day, it is my trade(Commercial A/C/Ref mechanic)...

Sorry for jumping around... just got home... and I am still trying to put my thoughts on MY time... haha

Chase

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Inline filter ac

In case you are confronted with a compressor failure and have a plate/fin condenser!

Adding an additional filter before the factory filter "which is larger and cleanable" has become a popular addition to automotive HVAC systems these days. The filters are always after the condenser and newer and more efficient plate fin condensers get clogged with debris after a compressor failure and must be replaced, period!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior