My KLR

Frank

Explorer
Send me a message with your phone number. Right now it looks as though I may be working the day after Thanksgiving and my wife will be returning home from Indy on Saturday so I might not head down there. Time will tell...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frank

Explorer
To cross something off of my purchase list, I am now considering my luggage solution.

Hard bags are looking to be roughly $700+- a little no matter what way I slice it. Used tour-a-tech cans can be found...plus a mounting kit, and Happy-trail bags will roughly run me the same amount. The HT and Tour-a-tech cans are about the only thing I am interested in when it comes to hard bags.

On the other hand...wolfman expedition bags with a mounting kit and a top dry bag for the pass area of the bike could be put together for roughly $500-+ from Happy-trail. I haven't shopped yet but my guess is that number could come down a little bit.

My family, which I ride with, says to go for the hard bags, no if's and's or but's about it.

My needs...well, just being 100% honest with myself, a three day adventure is probably the most I will ever see for several years to come when it comes to my bike.

Do I really NEED hard bags? Do those of you who have soft bags wish you would have purchased cans?

Last edited:

sandalscout

Adventurer
Of course my bike is smaller than yours is, and I possibly travel lighter than you would, but I am very happy with my soft luggage (Giant Loop Coyote). I can see the benefits of hard luggage on a bigger bike, but I think that if I was intending to go off pavement for any decent stretches, I would not want hard luggage.

The wolfman setup is very nice. I was seriously considering it myself, but at ~$450 for HT racks and the bags, I am quite happy with my coyote. It forces me to stay small which leads to me riding faster, further and more comfortably (on the bike at least).

Last edited:

Frank

Explorer
I finally got around to snapping a few pictures...

This is what I was talking about with the dash board/happy-trail windscreen relocation kit. See the gap at the bottom of the dash...the dash was this way around the entire frame. It vibrated like a siv, so much I wasnt able to use the GPS. The meter has been deemed junk. Its getting replaced with another device to gauge my voltage. Stay tuned on that.

DSC_0406 by Frank Vest, on Flickr

The cure:

DSC_0404 by Frank Vest, on Flickr

This is the Happy-Trail fork brace. As mentioned in previous posts, this rides very close to the tire, with 2 washers installed as spacers. So far, it hasn't been an issue but still makes me a little uneasy. I did feel a noticeable difference in the front in after this was installed.

DSC_0407 by Frank Vest, on Flickr

This is a small thing I am doing. This will be turned into a tool tube.

DSC_0411 by Frank Vest, on Flickr

Still undecided on a luggage system. -most likely wont come until after Christmas...but its looking more like a Wolfman system.

diesel toyota

Observer
Shopping now for a new motorcycle and am almost positive it will be a KLR. Subscribed, and excited to see more! Nice build. Would you buy it again? May try and find a deal on a new 2011 as the 2012's come in.

Frank

Explorer
Awesome, glad to have some impact on your decision! -and thank you! I love the bike. I haven't been able to put as many miles on it as I wish I could but that's life and right now life is really busy. I ride it every chance I get though! Im trying to put together a 9 day trip to the UP of Michigan and into Canada Octoberish of next year.

I have developed a strong opinion about the suspension on the KLR. I would recommend to anyone who is going to buy a KLR for adventure to do a suspension upgrade. Toolin' around town, work, whatever the case is, I'm sure it is just fine. Loaded up, the bike needs suspension. There are a few options out there for the rear, the Ricor and the Cogent both have great reviews. I have the Cogent and speak highly of it. The race-tech emulators/springs for the front is an amazing way to go.

I did replace the Happy-trail top case with a coo-case from Twisted throttle. I just installed it this past Saturday. I came to the conclusion that the HT top case was just to big. I loved the space, but weight was a concern. It weighed about 15# and the rear cargo rack is only rated for 22 pounds. The coocase is awesome. I love the weight of it (its plastic so very light) it looks great, will hold my camera gear, it's waterproof, lockable and has an LED integrated brake light built into it.

Panniers are very close to being purchased. So many decisions....

Speaking of lights...in trying to find a little power, I'm going to change all of my acc/turn signals to LED lights. I think this will save me about 5amps overall and my lamps will be much brighter. One thing I have found by monitoring my voltage meter, when running GPS and my heated Aerostich, the power drops. -so much that I stalled it on a hill and it hesitated to start again. I did have my brights on also...but still a little nerve racking.

My brother in law's OEM tire after 3500 miles is smoked on his 09 KLR. We are going to try a Heidenau K60 Tire. A little pricey but with claims of 7,000 miles, it could make for an epic tire....perfect for an Alaska trip from Indiana! I can't wait to see how it pans out.

Last edited:

Frank

Explorer
Awesome! What year did you get?

We never really put the bikes "away" this winter. Generally, we don't run south because Michigan is so close and really is awesome once you are about an hour north of the state line.

I would like to run into southern Indiana before years end though!

BTW, yesterday my brother in law picked up a KLR! We now have 3 of them in the family.

One of these days I will update this thread.

Frank

Explorer
I suppose its time I get on this a little bit. A little has changed with my bike.

When I noticed that the weather wasn't going to get super cold and a Aerostich Roadcrafter light suit along with my heated fleece would allow me to ride much more, I pulled the trigger. I love my Roadcrafter light. I can't wait to see how it will perform this summer in the warmer weather.

The HT windscreen relocation was driving me totally nuts. The stupid thing vibrated beyond belief. This is how I fixed it. -I sliced a piece of hose and wrapped the frame with it, then zip-tied it back to against the frame. It works great.

Untitled by Frank Vest, on Flickr

Also, I just added my luggage system. For $600, they are an amazing combo. The panniers are from Pak-meister and the rack is from pack-rat.

A complete write up of the system can be found at either of these two locations:
Starting at post 2779:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161600&page=186

and here:
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=101861

I have a LED driving light system I hope to get on the bike this evening maybe.
-and speaking of LED's, that too is something I am wanting to accomplish...change all of the lights to LED.
I still need to mount my tool tube but now that I have the pannier/rack I may mount it on the rack opposite side of the exhaust. Still not sure.
I would still really like to get crash bars very soon. -most likely SW-Motech.

Other than that, not much has changed. This bike is doing awesome! Every time I ride it I get a huge cheesin grin on my face. My days at work drag on as I am just too excited to ride it home.

birdslt1

How well do the factory tires work? Is there a better type of tire for it? Im looking to be about 80% paved and dirt roads and the rest unknown?..lol

Frank

Explorer
The factory tires are like factory tires on all vehicles from the factory. They are ok at best.

As for a recommendation, I think the Kenda K761's would treat you right. There are many threads on klr650.net, adv and klrworld about tires. (dont just take my word for it)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Roly02boiler

I suppose its time I get on this a little bit. A little has changed with my bike.

When I noticed that the weather wasn't going to get super cold and a Aerostich Roadcrafter light suit along with my heated fleece would allow me to ride much more, I pulled the trigger. I love my Roadcrafter light. I can't wait to see how it will perform this summer in the warmer weather.

The HT windscreen relocation was driving me totally nuts. The stupid thing vibrated beyond belief. This is how I fixed it. -I sliced a piece of hose and wrapped the frame with it, then zip-tied it back to against the frame. It works great.

Also, I just added my luggage system. For $600, they are an amazing combo. The panniers are from Pak-meister and the rack is from pack-rat.

A complete write up of the system can be found at either of these two locations:
Starting at post 2779:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161600&page=186

and here:
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=101861

I have a LED driving light system I hope to get on the bike this evening maybe.
-and speaking of LED's, that too is something I am wanting to accomplish...change all of the lights to LED.
I still need to mount my tool tube but now that I have the pannier/rack I may mount it on the rack opposite side of the exhaust. Still not sure.
I would still really like to get crash bars very soon. -most likely SW-Motech.

Other than that, not much has changed. This bike is doing awesome! Every time I ride it I get a huge cheesin grin on my face. My days at work drag on as I am just too excited to ride it home.

Wow that looks amazing! Sorry I have been off guys. Still working my way around these forums. I found Adv and KLR650.NET to be good one's. Anyone interested in a ride Saturday and is anyone doing the Ride or Die 3 out of Terru Haute on Sunday?

Frank

Explorer
Thanks! I am pretty busy for the next few weekends. Mid July I am heading in to Northern Michigan which I am pretty excited about. We were considering making time to go to Brown County area if you are up for that.

Right now I have the bike torn down in my garage for a thermobob install and a valve check. I also installed a fuse block, LED driving lights and relocated my 9v plug. I will get some more pictures up shortly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles