My KLR

Frank

Explorer
Cogent moab rear shock and Eibach spring, Cogent fork springs, Race Tech emulators, and the Happy-trail fork brace are all on the way.

This is reported to be the best suspension set-up on the market for the KLR. Did it need it, well...I will leave that to personal preference. I haven't owned a vehicle in the last six years I didn't modify the suspension in some way or another.

Now its time to save for crash bars and panniers. Generally, I get about 30 hours a month OT at work but it has been very slow lately....and I work in the steel industry. Lets not hope this is a sign of future comings. :(

I hope to get my shift lever and top box on this week yet. -and I have yet to get on my bike since the weekend...so no new updates on the windscreen :(

Last edited:

Loco-Nomad

Adventurer
I have always been a Beemer owner but have been without a bike since I sold my last one 3 years ago. My biggest complaint with them was that every stock seat was absolutley unbearable on long trips, and even spending $600 on after market seats were no different. How are the KLR seats? Been contimplating getting one of these due to the price of Beemers now...

Frank

Explorer
Suspension and upgraded sub frame bolts go on this weekend and maybe a trip to the UP of Michigan in a few weeks for the Lake Superior Rally...work depending.

As for the seat...the stock seat is what it is. An upgrade looks to be between 275-400. It's not on the top of my list of things to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frank

Explorer
Rear shock went on in about 15min. Very simple. I read some guys saying its a half a day project...I have no clue how it would take a half a day to complete the rear shock install. -I didn't even have a chance to take a sip of my beer before we had the old out and the new in.

The front end...not so awesome.

From my other HELP threads:
I am putting race tech emulators/springs into the forks. One (brake side) went together just fine, no problems at all. Also note, this side had a tiny spring at the bottom of the dampner.

Went to begin putting the other fork together ...put the dampner in, put the bolt in the bottom (fork compressed) ...and as soon as that bolt grabs, the shock will not decompress. Of course, tight...forget about decompressing the shock.

I have read in this thread, it seems the factory only put one tiny spring in the front fork. Also, there is no mention of the tiny spring in the service manual.
Link to the thread about the tiny spring: http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51992

So, what am I missing here? This is the second bike we have installed emulators on, no problems what so ever with the first bike.

We tried several times taking it apart and putting it back together...nothing works.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Frank

Frank

Explorer
I was able to get my issue resolved. Still not sure of an exact reason for my problem, but its fixed.

The bike is totally different after the install. I am slacking in the picture dept. I will get on that, hopefully tomorrow.

We are planning a weekend camping trip next weekend at the Manistee National Forest in Central Michigan. I cant wait!

FAW3

Adventurer
Rear shock went on in about 15min. Very simple. I read some guys saying its a half a day project...I have no clue how it would take a half a day to complete the rear shock install. -I didn't even have a chance to take a sip of my beer before we had the old out and the new in.
-Frank

That is about right...I read the manual on my '07...and it looked like hours of work with all Clymer tells you to remove. I checked YouTube and there is a KLR vid showing basically just remove the shock from the bottom...and it was just that easy. I went with the Progressive Suspension 465 shock/spring and it is much better than the stock (which I overwelm with my weight at 220#).

Frank

Explorer
Initial impression is that the suspension is amazing. I blasted down a railroad and of course my routine to work and back.

Plans are pretty solid that we will be heading for the forest this weekend. I plan to get my pictures up of the new goods, hopefully tomorrow. I guess I keep saying that, huh. I have lots.

Last edited:

Frank

Explorer
Update time:

Suspension thoughts:
After a weekend of hard riding down pavement, washboard dirt roads, non-maintained paved roads, mud, sand, hills, cornering...pretty much everything except rocks and snow...with a loaded bike (gear for a weekend camping trip)...the suspension is beyond awesome and far exceeded my expectations.

Maybe I should have mentioned....Happy-trail made me a killer deal on their R&D suspension off of the "stinger bike". This is the Cogent MOAB rear combo/Race-tech emulator/Progressive spring combo. HT advised me to make no changes as LOTS of time has gone into R&D of the emulators and spacer. I also added a Happy-Trail front fork brace. My ONLY negative thing I have to say about all of this, I decided to add 2 stainless washers to my HT fork brace on all four corners of the brace. Without the washers, the brace rode very close to the tire.

Emulators

DSC_0360-18 by Frank Vest, on Flickr

DSC_0358-17 by Frank Vest, on Flickr

Length of spacers they sent me

DSC_0367-21 by Frank Vest, on Flickr

Rear shock in

DSC_0354-16 by Frank Vest, on Flickr

drilled out dampners to eliminate oil flow restrictions. This picture is just to show how much of a difference the holes are opened. I also added a pair of holes to the top. Also, make sure you have something to de-bur the holes with after you drill them!

DSC_0375-23 by Frank Vest, on Flickr

10wt fork oil went in. Lots of different opinions on fork oil weight. I have no intention on seeing what other weights would do for me. I'm perfectly happy with the suspension as it sits now.

DSC_0378-24 by Frank Vest, on Flickr

Front end tore down

DSC_0370-22 by Frank Vest, on Flickr

I do have several parts from the bike listed for sale over on ADV:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=734643

Frank

Explorer
A few pictures from the weekend trip north into Michigan. We weren't able to go as far north as we wished as the weather turned horrible. We intended to camp but it was flat out miserable. If it weren't for the rain, we would have had no problems staying out in it. 497 miles in about a day and a half. We left at 1:30 Friday afternoon, returned Saturday evening around 8. Good trip for a shakedown run!

Also, I have had some pm's regarding the HT top box. Its a great top box. It did exactly what I asked it to do...hold my lunch box and my helmet (not together of course). The bad side....its very easy to overload it. The rear deck says not to exceed 22pounds.

Pictures:

DSC_0019-6 by Frank Vest, on Flickr

DSC_0009-2 by Frank Vest, on Flickr

My brother in laws KLR with Happy-trail side bags

DSC_0016-5 by Frank Vest, on Flickr

DSC_0013-3 by Frank Vest, on Flickr

The dreaded motel

DSC_0004-1 by Frank Vest, on Flickr

So, what is it that I want to do to the bike after the short trip?
Seat
Bags (the ones I used were borrowed)
Crash bars. I never dropped the bike...but came very close many times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94