2012 Dodge 5500 - Expedition Camper - The build has started

dtruzinski

Explorer
HELP - Insurance Advice???

Need some guidance on auto insurance. Travelers declares this a commercial vehicle and won't insure it. State Farm will insure it at $2k/year...yikes haven't paid those rates since my hot-rodding teenage years. Anyone have some advice on how to get the truck listed/registered as an RV?

tell them its an rv? what is it registered as? perhaps get the registration changed to rv. but you might need the camper on it before you can do that.

dtruzinski

Explorer
good advice from "brassnuckles"...here's my update

Travelers with whom I spend a pile-o-money insuring a number of assets is going to LOSE all of my business. So far St Farm is trying to work with me. In the process, I discovered that there is a method to get the truck with camper registered as an RV. I am awaiting final instructions from the MT department of motor vehicles but this seems to be the best course of action. Next stop will be Progressive, just to compare rates. But I can tell that I am very disappointed in Travelers

dtruzinski

Explorer
the issue is that a Dodge 5500's weight rating makes it a commercial truck from an insurance company perspective. In MT (and I would assume other states), there is a process to register a vehicle as an RV. As soon as I get the camper installed, I will submit my application...my insurance will drop by 50%!

trasus

Not to go too far backward with the discussion, but I find myself in very similar circumstances to you and I have a question: Why the Dodge over the Ford F550? I ask because you identify yourself as a Ford guy, but have opted for a Dodge, so I'm sure there's a good reason for it. I'm about to embark on my project, which would best be described as a hybrid of yours and NeverEnough's, but I've based my entire design around the 2012 F550 Lariat. Is there something I missed in my research? I'm not a Ford guy, or a Dodge guy, or any other type of guy (except that I'm a guy in the original sense). I have absolutely ZERO brand loyalty, but I'm looking for the best solution in that range (4x4, quasi-luxury quad cab, greater than 1 ton payload, etc.). A lot of my faith in the F550 came from the fact that EarthRoamer uses the same chassis. Your post has me more than a little concerned.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Byrdseye

Observer
Hope you don't mind me butting in...........but I'm starting a build on a new 2011 Ram 5500 as well so I thought I'd toss in my two cents as to why I chose the Dodge over the Ford. My main reason is under the hood, I love the Cummins. It's reliable, stone axe simple and easy to work on and get to things in the engine compartment. If one were inclined to remove the EGR, EGR cooler, DPF etc...it can be done in the driveway with simple hand tools. I've overhauled two of the 5.9's and was impressed with the robust build and simplicity.
If you open the hood on a Ford, it's hard to even find the engine. In fact, for any major work the cab is lifted off of the frame. Also, IMHO, a truck turbo diesel should just be a straight six. :)
I have to say though, that until the 2010 body change, I was jealous of both my brothers Ford Lariat interiors, now though, I think I like the Dodge just as well if not better.
IMHO, the one thing the Ford has going for it is the availability of a front locker. But, I think Dodge has the better overall front axle. (massive hi-pinion Magna-Steyr).
I'm not trying to start a brand p*ssing match, I'm just giving you my reasons for choosing a Dodge for this application. I did own an F550 a while back, but I missed my Cummins . :ylsmoke:

trasus

You'll get no argument from me about the brands. My last few vehicles have been a Ford Cobra, BMW M3, Ford Excursion, GMC 2500HD (Duramax!), Porsche 911 C2S and my current BMW M6. I'm all over the place with my wheels, but I've never had a Cummins, and I don't even know enough to be dangerous under the hood. If something breaks, I sure won't be fixing it. Ergo: I'd rather it not break. That said, I haven't given away any money yet, so I'll be taking another hard look at the 5500s. I looked at a 2010 (there weren't any 2011 Laramies around here) and was really disappointed with the interior. And the Dodge salesman told me straight-up that the Ford would get better mileage. Those 2 things and some forum scouring across the internet lead me to the F550.

Anyways, I'm in danger of hijacking an excellent build thread. I'll take my base-vehicle thoughts and questions elsewhere. Thanks for chiming in Byrdseye.

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
My son's Dodge 5500 cost 44K. I paid that 3 years ago for a very similar Ford 450. Dodges are flat out cheaper to buy.

dtruzinski

Explorer
@trasus - my logic was rather simple. The choice for Dodge was based on tried and proven components: Cummins, Aisin and Spicer. Ford launched a with a new engine and transmission. I expect that they will be in discovery mode for a couple of years to perfect their components. Price weighed in a little bit; the Dodge similarly equipped is less expensive. The fact that Dodge redesigned the interior was a huge plus. If you haven't seen a Laramie interior...head to a dealer. It compares to the Lariat line in Ford. My consumer view (I am not in the auto industry) is that Dodge Ram has decided to win back the light and medium truck world with solid design, proven drive train and luxury interiors. Chevy/GM has stepped aside and it is a two horse race (in the $50-60K range).

General update: have driven the 'beast' unloaded on a couple of trips into the Rockies to shoot the fall colors (I am a photographer when not doing my day job). First, I need to get some weight on this thing in a hurry; it is beating the tar out of me. Driving from Castle Rock, CO up to Estes Park via the Peak to Peak Highway and back, I averaged 15.4 mpg (reading form the onboard computer...I know it is directional, but the direction is good). Could not be happier. Flatbed and camper will be installed in less than three weeks. Stay Tuned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior