2012 Dodge 5500 - Expedition Camper - The build has started

dzzz

Perhaps I missed it, but did you post which camper you're installing?
As a reference, I'm something like $8-900/year insurance a year for a U500 and camper. PM me if you need a referral. I didn't even bother to ask for a rate from my State Farm agent. They did help me insuring the cab/chassis during the build. The key was to buy a near zero mileage policy that can be cancelled. All of it was less than expected. But I never paid a commercial vehicle rate. And as you found out there are plenty of guys who try to insure commercial trucks as private vehicles.

Of course the reasonable insurance rate doesn't include the DUI with the coke and hookers..............

dtruzinski

Explorer
which camper question

Don, the camper is the American Hero from Northstar. It is a flatbed camper with side door, lots of head room, lots of storage, full shower and well insulated.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
After reading through the thread, I went and checked out the AMerican Hero on their site. That's a pretty sweet camper!

Cant wait to see this all built up. It would be my dream rig to do a Florida to Alaska trip, then down into Baja and further south!

dtruzinski

Explorer
Super Singles

Since the truck was only carrying a piece of plywood, I removed the inner steel dual. It was somewhat of an experiment. The track is too narrow to carry a camper safely. The Rickson track will be 75", so I will have 85" outer tire to outer tire track when finished.

dtruzinski

Explorer
Flat bed installed - Alum-line

The first step is getting the custom flat bed mounted on the truck. It is 9' 6" long (6" longer than the camper) and 7' 10" wide (width of the camper). It was custom built by Alum-line of Cresco, IA. If I can ever make the suspension pliable enough to flex, it might warrant a three point pivot mount. I will install that mounting system if deemed necessary at a later date.

Truzinski Truckbed 001.jpg

Truzinski Truckbed 002.jpg

I need to send a HUGE thank you to my wife for driving from Denver to Cresco, IA to get the flatbed installed. I fractured my knee hiking in the Rockies and was unable to make the trip. That must have been a rough ride on an unloaded 5500 (not to mention that my plywood deck nearly flew off)

Note the duals are back on the truck. The Rickson wheels are running behind schedule and I needed to have the proper carrying capacity for the camper...it is due to be installed tomorrow.

Last edited:

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
The flat bed looks very nice. Hope you are pleased, so far. Any rough idea of the height above the frame or at least the change relative to (what would have been) the pickup bed floor ? Sorry to hear about your knee :(

dtruzinski

Explorer
Camper - first pics

The camper has arrived! The North Star America Hero flatbed camper is simply AWESOME! I have removed the camper jacks and bolted aluminum straps connecting the rear of the camper to the flatbed. I need to register this as an RV and it has to be permanently attached to the flat bed; hence the straps and bolts. I am still using the fastguns, as I believe that the spring loaded clamping force of this is superior to a direct bolt solution. I fastened 2 "L" brackets to the rear deck to eliminate any camper drift backwards. I will place two "L" brackets on the forward portion of the deck to keep the camper from shifting forward. The fastguns are at a sufficient angle to keep the camper located left to right. I got behind this weekend so didn't get interior pic of the camper...will get something posted next weekend.

View attachment camper-2.jpg
View attachment camper-1.jpg

Here is my first impression of the flatbed American Hero camper from North Star. There is an attention to detail with the North Star American Hero that escapes most camper builders. All the little details are finished nicely. The drawers have the push button knobs, there are numerous lights, dc power points, and the flooring is a covering that looks so much like real hardwood flooring, you will reach down to test it. The refrigerator (6 cu ft) is large and there is ample space for 3-4 people in the camper. The height of the ceiling above the cabover bed is incredible...you can nearly sit up in that space. It is easy to enter the sleeping area due to the large step over the fresh water tank. The secondary bed (dinette conversion) is nearly 6'6" long. The dining table is massive and the bench seats accommodate four adults. There is a Dometic three burner stove and sink combo. THe windows have screens, pop out for ventilation, and have a black out feature. I am really pleased with the finished product...it is the best value in the industry and you get the most usable space per dollar invested. There is an exterior compartment designed to hold a generator and the other exterior compartments are spacious.

The Alum-line bed is 116" x 94". Alum-line builds and installs a rock solid product that is first rate. You will be impressed with the quality of the bed and the install. It is attached by 4 large U bolts and has a rubber gap gasket between the aluminum rail and the steel frame.

I can't share pricing, but the list price from both Alum-line and North Star will impress you. Both companies are based in Iowa. Alum-line is based in Cresco and North Star is an hour South in Cedar Falls. . They build quality products in the heartland and their owners (Gary at Alum-line and Rex at North Star) are the kind of people that will restore you faith in quality products and pride of manufacture. Check them out...you will be impressed.

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
Looks great,looking forward to the inside pictures.

The camper looks large on the truck, but it looks like it fits the truck very nicely as you do not have a lot of overhang at the back.

dtruzinski

Explorer
Interior Pics of American Hero

The more I work in the camper getting it ready for use, the more I like it. All of the wiring and plumbing are securely fastened; there is no debris left under the counters from drilling...it is meticulously assembled

Entrance Entrance.jpg

Dining Dining.jpg

Hardwood Floor Laminate -hard to tell from real HardwoodFloorLook.jpg

Sink & Stove SinkStove.jpg

Kitchen Left KitchenLeft.jpg

Kitchen Right KitchenRight.jpg

Wet Bath Bathroom.jpg

Cabover Bed Passenger Side Bed-PassengerSide.jpg

Cabover Bed - Driver Side Bed - Driver Side.jpg

Pop Open Windows Throughout PopOpenWindows.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics