2012 Dodge 5500 - Expedition Camper - The build has started

dtruzinski

Explorer
I have driven it a whopping 5 miles since installing...I could easily have made them wider, but they appear to work just fine at 3.5" additional flare.

Darwin

Explorer
Also curious about how you are liking the camper so far? I am thinking about purchasing a Northstar hardside camper.

dtruzinski

Explorer
@Darwin and Carl - Sorry for the delayed response, I have been in the working vortex of life recently. Am getting ready to make our annual Fall pilgrimage through the Tetons, Yellowstone, Beartooth Hwy, and Glacier NP.

I haven't driven the truck much since installing the flares, but they seem to work just fine.

Darwin - the camper is awesome. We really like the space, storage, full bath, and solar option. We have removed the A/C and microwave, as we won't use them (we are seldom near power). The fresh water tank is on the small side, so we carry extra water in the generator compartment (another item we don't need). This is a great camper and I would encourage you to talk to Rex at Northstar.

dtruzinski

Explorer
Just got back from 12 days touring the Tetons, Yellowstone and Glacier. The first muddy road over powered my fender flares, so I added some mud flaps on the spot. Thankfully my first failed attempt at fender flares involved some flexible rubber that was easily attached to the fender flares. Second new system to experience challenges were the tool boxes. These sealed up so tight that they condensed and filled with 1/2" of water. That too was easy fix by adding some small holes to drain and vent the boxes. Otherwise the tool boxes were really useful and I am glad we made the investment. With just over 8k miles, this engine is not broken in; however, the rig delivered 11-12 mpg throughout the trip. Wonder what a DEF delete would deliver (however, I would not risk the warranty for this knowledge). Also I had a spare tire carrier engineered by Kent Blough, owner of Mountain View Metal Works. http://mountainviewmetalworks.com/index.html. I had purposely made the bed 6" longer than the camper to mount a spare tire carrier. It worked perfectly and is attached to the frame of the flatbed. This tire system has a two way load bearing crank that allows one person to easily lift and drop a nearly 200lb tire. I will have someone take pics later today and update this post with the pics. Need to get it powder coated, but structurally and mechanically it is a sweet deal.

Well if you have been following this thread you would realize that about the time I finished building the truck my work situation changed. Now it changed in a good way, I am employed...in fact I am over employed. I spend most of my time working in LATAM and seldom get home to MT. Since finishing the truck, we have only managed two two multi day trips in the truck. Since I am only using it once a year, we are contemplating selling it again. So if you know anyone in the market for an expo ready truck, please send them my way. Last time I put the truck up for sale I changed my mind...my wife is betting that I will pull it off the market once I start to contemplate life without access to such a unique rig.

dtruzinski

Explorer
New pics since last trip detailing the spare tire carrier. The hand winch works in both directions and makes it a one person operation to lift and lower the spare tire. This custom rig is up for sale and the full ad is in the expo for sale section.
DSC00238.jpgTireCarrier.jpgDSC00227.jpg

dtruzinski

Explorer
@gringoinloscabos - thanks for the compliment. I took the camper off to do some modifications and have access to a truck over the summer. I will take pics tomorrow. The truck w/o the camper gets even more looks and comments! It's just fun to drive.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Great thread, and great info. I'm more or less in the planning stages, but you've given me lots to think about. Looking forward to further developments.

dtruzinski

Explorer
One minor modification and she is officially up for sale

Over the summer, I took the camper off and used the truck as a truck. In the process, I realized that bolting the spare tire carrier to the bed made the transition from RV to flatbed truck very difficult, so I had the spare tire carrier modified to fit in my receiver. I have also, decided to sell this rig. It has 13k and change miles on it and is in excellent condition throughout. You will find a posting in the for sale section of this forum later today. In the meantime, here are a couple of pics.

Attachments

• Drivers Side.jpg
    Drivers Side.jpg
    542.8 KB · Views: 130
  • Front View.jpg
    Front View.jpg
    554.9 KB · Views: 118
  • Passener Side.jpg
    Passener Side.jpg
    544.3 KB · Views: 125
  • Modified Spare Carrier.jpg
    Modified Spare Carrier.jpg