Best paint for bumpers/sliders etc.?

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Sliders: I had my sliders hot sprayed with bedliner prior to a weld on application at least 4 years ago. The coating is easily touched up with rattle can liner thought it's never as thick as the original.

P7290287.jpg

Bumpers: I have an ARB front and a stock rear, both seem to take hits from the trail, or the road for that matter from time to time. I went ahead and color mathec mine to the best of my abililty and can touch it up anytime I feel the urge to tape the truck off wet sand, clean, and spray (in a home made spray booth called the back yard).

IMG_2734.jpg

After a run in with the trailer above over an argument about tight turning radius's and non clearance issues when jackknifing. I learned the trailer tongue needs to be extended about 18".

3fe30b38.jpg

Aaron

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
So you've probably come to the conclusion if it'll stick you can paint it with that. Do what you want like what you do.

A

Charo

Observer
I've found that John Deere semi-gloss black works really well. It's made for tough agricultural situations and covers very well. It's not as cheap as Krylon, but worth it in my opinion. Found at your local John Deere farm equipment dealer.

bjmatush

My powder coated rock sliders started to rust so I had them sand blasted and coated with LineX (spray on bed liner)...they look great and should be even more resistant to rust compared to powder coat.

Sent from my GT-P1000R using Tapatalk

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
My powder coated rock sliders started to rust so I had them sand blasted and coated with LineX (spray on bed liner)...they look great and should be even more resistant to rust compared to powder coat.

Sent from my GT-P1000R using Tapatalk

Were you using the sliders as sliders or did they just up and rust? The bed coating us easier to maintain (doesn't look as nice).

A

mutt550

Observer
Rattle can bed liner!!!!!! Easy to use, easier to touch up!!! Over 3/4 of my 96 Cherokee is bedlinered!!!! :victory:

Phreak480

Army Guy
heck i rattle can'd my TJ (unfortunately i wrecked it) and it came out awesome and was VERY durable. The guy at the bodyshop took a screwdriver to it to see how much abuse it could take. Needless to say the only time it would come off was when the factory paint was chipped away with it still bonded on top.

spencyg

This Space For Rent
As terrible as it sounds, I get far more protection from brushed on rustoleum than I have been able to accomplish with spray-on. As mentioned previously, primer is critical to a long lasting finish. On surfaces you'll be walking on from time to time, any sort of glossy or semi-gloss paint will kill you if its wet out. For top surfaces, I mix some clean sand in with the paint to provide a non-skid surface.

Don't spend a lot of money on paint for your armor...you'll be scratching and denting it, and something you can easily touch up should be the #1 priority.

Eric S.

Adventurer
Por-15 has worked VERY well for my front bumper. Used Semi-gloss (which looks pretty much flat) and didn't coat it with any other paint to protect from UV's. It been holing up fine for almost two years now. Maybe if you use gloss or live in California the UV might be an issue but in Prince Rupert that will not be a problem :)
Just be sure to follow the instructions using the proper prep materials.

saburai

Explorer
Rustoleum "Hammered" rattle can paint for me. Currently painting my new front bumper, new skid plates, and will re-do the paint on my sliders over the next weekend.

Same here. I've been running it for a few years now and it holds up well and touch ups are easy as it blends very well

keezer37

Explorer
DOM16 Read the write up at the website.

Did my frame and sliders with this. In spring, I'll give it a good inspection and and do my bumper if all looks good. As with the sliders, I'll overcoat the bumper with matte black. This stuff does have a high gloss to it.

All the prep I did was to wash the dirt and any grease away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke