Best paint for bumpers/sliders etc.?

musicmaan

Observer
Hi all, I have to paint my sliders, and soon to be bumpers for my Tacoma. I'm looking for recommendations on the best paint to use for such applications?

Thank you,

MM

RoosterBooster

Observer
on my (dirt cheap) backcountry adventure rig (that i also abuse as a box scraper tractor and snowplow :wings:) i used rattle can bed liner (lowes/depot?) for the fenders/ rocker and bumpers:

normal_IMG_4531.JPG

cheap, but nice textured surface that hides imperfections and is very easy to touch up

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Take a look at Magnet Paints.

http://www.magnetpaints.com/

Their monsta liner is apparently one of if not the best out there, and the Chassis Saver is used by pro's and DIY all over. A lot of people I chat with are using the Chassis Saver on bumpers, sliders, basically everything. One guy is painting his whole Cherokee with gloss black!

Superb customer service too.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Whatever you get make sure it is UV stabilized or it will fade. Regular Rustoleum is not UV stable. A lot of chassis paint is not either because (most) chassis are not in direct sunlight.

I use Krylon indoor/outdoor. Its cheap (under $4 a can) and durable enough. Whatever you do, its going to get scratched. might as well make it the easiest thing to touch up.

RoosterBooster

Observer
IMHO if you dont mind to spend a little more $$ you get the nicest result and best endurance if you have everything sandblasted/Powdercoated.
pick a standard color and buy matching rattle can paint for touchup.
i used to build desert/dune truggys... thats what we did on them.

sand/gravel mixed with high hp removes any regular paint in a heartbeat :Wow1:
vrexwheelie1.jpg

powdercoating is the only thing that resisted the abrasion & abuse of the desert (at least for a couple trips :elkgrin:)

ltngaines

Adventurer
Benjamin Moore IronClad Alkid Low or Hi gloss Metal&wood Enamel. Hands down the best off the shelf paint for what you need. I have proof.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
With all the different opinions out there on paint, there are two things that are more important than any paint: surface prep and application technique. Sand, clean with solvent, prime, apply. If you're using an unfamiliar paint or painting an unfamiliar surface, test it out on some scrap. This will make your end results ten times better. Using proper methods, you can make a $3.49 can of UV stable Krylon look much better and last far longer than many of these other paints.

That being said, with equal prep and technique the "better" paint will likely have somewhat better results. But the gap between them is narrowed or marginalized completely by somebody who knows what they are doing.

i kinda go the other way compared to everybody else. i figure bumpers and sliders are buillt to protect the truck so i assume that they are going to get beat on. i use the cheapest flat paint i can find. the only thing better than a $3 can a paint is a $2 can a paint.

wjeeper

With all the different opinions out there on paint, there are two things that are more important than any paint: surface prep and application technique

X eleven million billion!:elkgrin:

Prep is the key. You can use the best paint in the world and it wont matter one bit if the prep work was no good.

Having said that I have had good luck with Rustoleum "professional" in rattle can and jar. Its a decent paint and seems to hold up to UV rays well.....cant vouch if its "formulated" for it or not, fading hasn't been a problem for me. Touch up is easy too, just rattle can over or use a small brush to cover the rock chips and it works for me.........cant really do that with powdercoat.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I agree on prep a good cleaning and primer will do wonders. Out in Wy we use lots of Rustoleum rust tuff on all the oil field rigs.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
i kinda go the other way compared to everybody else. i figure bumpers and sliders are buillt to protect the truck so i assume that they are going to get beat on.

Yep...if you are truly going to wheel it, there isn't a finish out there that will withstand grinding the full weight of your vehicle across a rock. I just rattle can my sliders and bumpers yearly with flat or satin black, quick and easy, because there are always scrapes and scratches.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I think how you will use your rig has to be incorporated into your painting choice. For me my armor WILL get used and no paint will withstand what I'll put them through so ease of application and touch ups are paramount... 'Heeeelllllooooo Rattle Can!!':ylsmoke:

Sangster

Adventurer
Rustoleum "Hammered" rattle can paint for me. Currently painting my new front bumper, new skid plates, and will re-do the paint on my sliders over the next weekend.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Rustoleum "Hammered" rattle can paint for me. Currently painting my new front bumper, new skid plates, and will re-do the paint on my sliders over the next weekend.

Been running them on my rock skids since I installed them earlier this year. Have held up really well...:ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online