September 2011, Coyote Flats

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
This trip was originally conceived as a summer getaway to the eastern Sierras. After conferring about our schedules we found that due to a summer filled with family events and too much business travel the earliest mutually available weekend was going to be in mid-September. The cast of characters for this trip included our regular trail buddies Mike and Denny (aka OffRoadMammy), with Jeff Wanamog and his wife Vicki joining us for the first part of the trip.

The plan was to head up to Coyote Flats outside Bishop CA. We planned to set up camp at Funnel Lake, and stay there for a few days allowing us time to explore a bit and soak in the area.

As an added bonus we would spend some time with Mike’s daughter who is now living in Bishop. She is a bicyclist, ultramarathoner and all around gifted athlete, and planned to run the 18 miles and +6000 foot elevation gain from the trailhead outside Bishop up to Funnel Lake where we planned to camp. She seemed to think it would be “fun”. Go figure.

September can be a great time to visit the High Sierras. In most years the mosquitoes will have run their course, and with kids back in school and summer vacation season over you often enjoy blissful solitude in areas that might be crowded on a peak summer weekend. The downside is that September weather in the High Sierras can go either way. Sometimes you get a wonderful Indian summer with clear skies and warm temperatures. In other years it feels like you’ve stumbled into the beginning of winter.

We arrived in camp Saturday afternoon, where we met Jeff and Vicki who had left early Friday morning. We enjoyed a fantastic dinner of carne asada with all the usual accompaniments courtesy of Jeff and Vicki. Thanks again! After dinner we sat around the campfire for a while, only to have it start hailing and raining with a vengeance. There was even a little bit of snow mixed in. We secured the camp and turned in for the night. The rains continued on and off for most of the night.

Sunday morning we awoke to fog and low clouds. Jeff and Vicki and planned to leave that day, and in light of the weather they packed up and were on the road fairly early for the long drive back to So Cal. Mike’s daughter enjoyed a hearty breakfast of bacon and French toast with us before she began her run down the mountain back to Bishop.

Early Morning in Camp

Coyote-Flats0911Early-AM-Camp-L.jpg

Our camp at Funnel Lake

Coyote-Flats0911Camp-XL.jpg

Early on in the day it seemed as though it may clear out, but as the day wore on we had periodic episodes of heavy rain and hail. We stuck close to camp so we could retreat to shelter as needed. A few of us tried our luck fishing in Funnel Lake. Mike did manage to catch one nice pan sized rainbow, but the rest of us had no luck. Fortunately, we had a dry spell that allowed us time to cook dinner and enjoy some time around the campfire. Par for the course though, the rain and hail returned and we headed for the tents for another long night.

Looks like it might turn out to be a nice day!

Coyote-Flats0911Funnel-Lk-L.jpg

Coyote-Flats0911Clearing-L.jpg

Well, maybe not. Later that morning:

Coyote-Flats0911Foggy-Camp-02-L.jpg

A couple other pictures of Funnel Lake:

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
Monday we awoke to clear skies, and decided to explore the area on foot. We did about a 10 mile loop, starting up to the ridge above Rocky Bottom Lake, and then from there heading down the Coyote Creek drainage past the remains of the Salty Peterson mine, and then looping back up towards Funnel Lake along the way we came in on Saturday. It was a pleasant hike, and we only encountered one short sprinkle of rain along the way. Here are some pictures from along the way:

Looking back towards Coyote Flats and our Camp. Looking closely you can just barely make out our camp in the center of the picture.

Coyote-Flats0912Above-Rocky-XL.jpg

Above Rocky Bottom Lake

Coyote-Flats0912Rocky-Bottom-L.jpg

Cubist Snag

Coyote-Flats0912Snag-01-L.jpg

Looking down on Rocky Bottom Lake

Coyote-Flats0912Jodi-Denny-L.jpg

Exploring the Salty Peterson mine ruins

Coyote-Flats0912Salty-Peterson-XL.jpg

I thought this might be Mountain Holly, but looking at some pictures it doesn't look like it. Anyone have any ideas?

Coyote-Flats0912Mtn-Holly-2-L.jpg

Last edited:

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
On Tuesday we decided to take short hike up the ridge to the east of where we were camped. Up on the ridge there were remnants of some earlier fires from lightning strikes, which makes for some interesting snags.

Coyote-Flats0913Snag-02-L.jpg

I love the patina the wood develops over time.

Coyote-Flats0913Snag-04-XL.jpg

Once on the other side of the ridge we came across an interesting series of small ponds and tarns. Here's one that is big enough to probably be permanent, and qualify as a pond in my book:

Coyote-Flats0913Tues-Tarn-02-XL.jpg

Here's a smaller one that I imagine is dry some years, and therefore I'd call a tarn:

Coyote-Flats0913Tues-Tarn-03-XL.jpg

Looking back up the small valley, were there are a series of small tarns scattered in and among the rocks. The larger pond is at the end of the valley.

Coyote-Flats0913Tues-Tarn-L.jpg

Unfortunately, it was time to begin the journey home. As we drove out to Bishop it was apparent the weather was continuing its unsettled pattern.

Coyote-Flats0913Way-Out-02-XL.jpg

Coyote-Flats0913Way-Out-03-L.jpg

Last edited:

SLOwag

Adventurer
Nice trip report, I also like the Sierras in September...it can be a mixed bag of weather though.

I believe the berried plant is: Ribes cereum / Squaw currant, I saw a bunch of this en route to Laurel Lakes a few weeks ago.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
Nice trip report, I also like the Sierras in September...it can be a mixed bag of weather though.

I believe the berried plant is: Ribes cereum / Squaw currant, I saw a bunch of this en route to Laurel Lakes a few weeks ago.

Thanks for the info on the Squaw currant. Looks like it is edible, but apparently not with an abundance of flavor. Good to know.

It was growing quite profusely along Coyote Creek below the springs.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Leave it to my friends to be the ones who come up in a google search for Funnel Lake. I saw it on a post from "Our Four Wheel Camper" and it is now on the list of places to venture. Summer is coming so this may be in the itinerary.

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
This was a great trip. It was the last time we saw Dave and Jodi. Been way too long.
You won't be disappointed with the area. When we were there it was hunting season, kind of freaky.
Vic and I were alone for the first night. The second night it hailed so hard, I thought I had lost my hearing!
Couldn't catch a fish for the life of me.

Jeff

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
Good times. We had hail, rain, and generally blustery weather all weekend, but still had a great time. Only one fish was caught all weekend. Don't know if that's typical for Funnel Lake, or if we just had a bad weekend.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Adventure Duo has a trip report for the same area. They hiked up to another lake close by and caught lots of fish. It gets less visitors since it isn't accessible with a vehicle.
Got to have semi-local options for the summer. The deserts are already warming up. With my new purchase I have the "get out of town and go camping bug" more than ever.

Summer group trip somewhere with the usual cast of characters?

suntinez

Explorer
Dave,

Great pics and report, feeding the wanderlust?

Summer group trip somewhere with the usual cast of characters?

a) yes! Pick a place and a time, wave the flag and I'll be there.
b) and (ahem) need pics of the new setup, we'll barely recognize each other with all the new rides

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
May still be a little early for the eastern Sierras, but let's get some plans in place before the summer fills up with other stuff. The next couple weeks are going to be hectic for Jodi and me, but after that we'll have some time.

mike5

Adventurer
I went out there twice last year and will be going this coming weekend. Because of the relatively dry winter, word is that sometime in June fires will be banned up there. So keep that in mind. That aside, it is an absolutely beautiful place. Even on a long weekend you might see one or two cars (especially as you go farther in).

Here are my pix from one of the trips: http://www.flickr.com/photos/42086144@N04/sets/72157629976029572/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles