Offroad trailers.... brake it or break it?

r_w

Adventurer
BRAKE it. No question on any trailer over 1/4 the weight of the tow vehicle on pavement, or any trailer off pavement. Getting pushed down a sandy or muddy downhill is no fun even when it is straight, let alone if there is an obstacle or dropoff.

Getting passed by your trailer because the coupler broke is no fun, either.

Flyfishjeep

Adventurer
I have pulled 1/4 ton military trailers over the Rubicon for over twenty years. Some loads have been heavy (repair parts for the mechanics area, lumber, concrete, blocks of ice, etc) and some loads have been rather light (less than 500 lbs). I have had a few times that i wish it had brakes (although on the miltary, you can go out and set the parking brake and then "drag" your trailer down obsticles).

For the most part, it has been fine without them. I found it hard to want to pull off the military axles when I have built trailers because the parking brakes are very handy when you unhook in camp (a must with an RTT on there!). I find that pulling them up hill is much worse than pulling/getting pushed downhill.

I see all of the fellas here with awesome builds, but the first thing they want to do is ditch the military axle for some thing with electric brakes. I would bet that the e brake would get more use and be handier than electric brakes to help stop the trailer.]

My only real complaint has been with the pintle hitch. They are great for pulling on a road, and articulate very well, but can be very noisey and do damage from the push/pull effect when there is even a little play in the hitch. I love the Max Coupler type of hitching system, and think that I will be changing over my two pintle hitch trailers to that soon.

I have not looked into a ste of brakes with both electric brakes and an e brake system, but that would be awesome. Maybe someone whio has done this conversion can chime in about it??

Pikeman

Adventurer
Brakes- you wont need them for a light trailer on road but off road you will want them for downhills, make sure to get a good quality brake controller. Tekonsha Prodigy 2 or 3.

I am one of those guys Flyfishing is talking about. I just bought a M101 A2 3/4 ton military trailer. I am going to ditch the 8 lug military axle for a dexter 3500# trailer axle with 10 x 2.5 electirc brakes with 6x5.5 lug to match my tow rig. Quote was $280 and if I wanted the parking brake feature $350. My buddy has an 8 lug Chevy and wants the military axle to build his own utility trailer so it will be a wash for me. He gets a great solid axle with surge brakes and I get a new axle with matching lugs and brakes I need.

I would suggest electric brakes over the surge system off-road as well since coming down or going through a rock garden they can be activated very easily and mess with momentum. Also x2 on the max coupler or similar system.

bob

Adventurer
I actually working dual controlled trailer breaks. Brakes will help you off road, especially if you get off camber, start to slide, with out brakes the trailer will push and that is never good. I am setting mine up to have individual control of each side while off roading. It does help in getting over rocks and logs, can turn the truck when sliding and has a many benefits. The brakes do not cost much, the conrollers seem to be high, but can be used on anything you tow.

I would highly recommend trailer brakes for your trailer. I have been building trailers off and on for 25 years. Having them will never be a problem, not having them can be a problem with in the first 100 yards you drive with it. You just never know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz