2010 Subaru Outback lift kits

Hi guys,

My wife and I have our eye on a 2010 Outback with 6spd manual tranny. This would mostly be a commuter (18 mile round trip) and long distance rig (good fuel economy).

Of course I can't leave well enough alone, so am wondering about the possibilities of adding a lift in order to fit slightly taller tires (225 75 16 duratracs come to mind)....

Can't find anything specific to the 2010-2012 models...

And of course, the Superu is of great inspiration,
P4245247.JPG

Thanks,
Scott

Geoffhodge

Subaru Outback lift kit

Hi.

I have two Outbacks. a 2000 model and a 2008 model.

Desperate to find a 2in lift kit I searched the web pages and eventually found a company in Israel of all places, and also the USA. However, shipping costs for the kits stopped me in my tracks. Check out http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140420191674?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 This is the company in Israel with pictures of their simple kit.

I therefore got a local garage to drop the front and rear suspension unit (shock absorbers and springs on the 2008 model, and I measured the tops of the units and prepared a drawing for a local fabrication shop to make front and back spacer units in steel, painted black. I think they made the 4 off spacers for around 300 US$. I used new shocks at the same time, as mine needed changing, so no additional garage costs were really involved

We used high tensile long bolts from a local supplier, and it went back together very easily. No other mods or changes were required and the car drives as before but with 2in additional clearance.

I drive mainly in soft sand and on gravel roads in Oman.

NothingClever

Explorer
I dunno....the Subaru is such a great car like it is. I grew up around and in them growing up in Colorado's high country and have seen them driven into some crazy places in stock trim.
-
What possibly could you want to do with your wife's bread-sled that would require more clearance?

96discoXD

Adventurer
These little subaru's are definitely capable. I drove my wife's 2010 Forester down a rough forest trail following my brother-in-laws H3 and was able to keep up and take his line with the exception of taking the easy line around a pretty deep mud hole.

I won't be lifting the fozzie but I am going to install some Yoko Geolander ATS tires once I wear out the stock highway tires.

I love the newer outbacks and would have bought one of those instead of the fozzie if my wife hadn't insisted she didn't want a wagon.

I can't wait to see what you come up with!

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
WOW

I LOVE that sub! That is super nice looking, and honestly I can say that is a first for me! Who puts a snorkel on a Subaru!!?!? I love it though. Then again I am pretty sure I would not be trying to go into water that deep in a Subaru, but who cares, it still looks pretty cool on there and if you are going that deep, well good luck!

My dad used to take our 2wd Subaru Wagon on all forms of "4x4" trails. We would see jeeps and their eyes would get so big when they found us on the same road. Once we were in about six inches of snow and got stuck. What did Dad do? Had my brother, mother, and I sit on the hood, he backed the thing right up that slippery hill like it was nothing with the extra weight on the tires. What great memories. I have wanted a Subaru for my family for along time, sadly they are SO very far out of my price range it is not going to happen for a while.

Best of luck on that new car! I hope you get it!?

ExpoScout

Explorer
WOW

I LOVE that sub! That is super nice looking, and honestly I can say that is a first for me! Who puts a snorkel on a Subaru!!?!? I love it though. Then again I am pretty sure I would not be trying to go into water that deep in a Subaru, but who cares, it still looks pretty cool on there and if you are going that deep, well good luck!

My dad used to take our 2wd Subaru Wagon on all forms of "4x4" trails. We would see jeeps and their eyes would get so big when they found us on the same road. Once we were in about six inches of snow and got stuck. What did Dad do? Had my brother, mother, and I sit on the hood, he backed the thing right up that slippery hill like it was nothing with the extra weight on the tires. What great memories. I have wanted a Subaru for my family for along time, sadly they are SO very far out of my price range it is not going to happen for a while.

Best of luck on that new car! I hope you get it!?

It is a common misconception to think that (what we in N America call) snorkels are for water only. They are more often used as a protection against dust.

AlexJet

Explorer
I'm thinking of getting 2010 Outback and would like to lift it a bit.
I checked the King Springs catalogue, they do not list anything past '09 model. Primitive also does not list anything for '10-up.
Where you guys get the info that King Springs exist for latest Gen (5th based on Legacy) Outback?

E.J.

Explorer
Your best bet is to actually call Primitive Racing. There's at least one picture of a lifted new gen OB on the website. Subaru's are legos, there might be a spring for another model that fits the OB.

lucasarchery

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 4.jpg

1 inch spacers from Subtle. Between the labor and new struts all around (97,000 miles on the originals) cost me about 2k. Worth it tho. Wish I was handy.

AlexJet

Explorer
I did Primitive lift on my 2010 Outback 2.5i Limited.
1" top spacer + King Raised coils.
Here is comparisment of OEM coils vs. King coils

FRONT:

SubaruOutbackFrontCoils1a_zps4de990d1.jpg

SubaruOutbackFrontCoils2a_zps115450f6.jpg

REAR:

SubaruOutbackRearCoils1a_zps2d355934.jpg

SubaruOutbackRearCoils2a_zps30a98e4f.jpg

On the front I got 1.5" total lift, but on the back I gained 2.75" lift. I have installed PRSS kit, so it was a factor to the lift too.
While front was seemed Ok, the rear was way too much. It was looking back-up and the tires had way too much of positive camber, basically I was driving on the outside of the tire. So I had to modify the kit. I removed the strut extender coming with a cit and cut off 1.25 of the coil on the bottom. This dropped the front to the level with the front, gaining both front and rear 1.5" of lift.

Using on-line Coil Rate calculator my findings are:

FRONT:
OEM coil - 125 lb/in, 14mm wire diameter, 170mm coil diameter, 375mm free stand, 4.5 active coil
King coil - 140 lb/in (+12%), 15mm wire diameter (+1mm), 170mm coil diameter, 355mm free stand (-20mm), 5.5 active coil (+1 coil)

REAR:
OEM coil - 150 lb/in, 12mm wire diameter, 110mm coil diameter, 360mm free stand, 8.25 active coil
King coil - 345 lb/in (+130%), 15mm wire diameter (+3mm), 110mm coil diamter, 345mm free stand (-15mm), 9.5 active coil (+1.25 coil)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles