Delorme InReach pricing announced

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
Delorme finally released prices for their different tiers of service for the InReach...

http://blog.delorme.com/2011/09/19/delorme-inreach-details-and-test-run/

When I read that I thought 'Ouch!' then I did the math for my SPOT Connect:

SPOT

$99 annual
$50 for the tracking/messages

So $150/annual for tracking + 100 messages = $13/month

INREACH

$120/year for basic package that doesn't have tracking but includes 120 messages (at 10/month) = $9.95/month

$300/year for advanced package that includes tracking + 480 messages (40/month) = $25/month

Obviously, your upfront costs will be greater for the InReach ($300 v $150 for SPOT)

So what do you want to do?

• If you don't need tracking, but want some connection to the outside world, the InReach Safety Plan is the way to go
  • If you want tracking but don't need 2-way communication with the outside world (think twitter), the SPOT is the way to go.
  • If you want 2-way communications, the InReach is the way to go

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Spot's are on sale for ~$50, several of which come with a coupon for 15% discounted services. That helps skew the economics in favor of the spot setup

-Sam

chrismc

Adventurer
One of the InReach's big selling points is that you can go up/down plans on the fly as long as you maintain the base plan. If you're only traveling a couple months out of the year, that only adds $30 to the base plan to get the tracking when you're on the road.

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
One of the InReach's big selling points is that you can go up/down plans on the fly as long as you maintain the base plan. If you're only traveling a couple months out of the year, that only adds $30 to the base plan to get the tracking when you're on the road.

Yeah this seems like a pretty good idea...$25 to 'downgrade' might make it a pain if you are off/on...but if you need the extra plan features for one season, it's well worth it.

chrismc

Adventurer
I just re-read the original linked blog post and caught that $25 "downgrade fee". That's pretty disappointing and I feel a bit misled by their initial description that you could switch plans at your leisure. Much less worth it given that caveat, in my opinion.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I really like the inReach, but there is also the Cerberus from Briartek that also does two way text and tracking over Iridium's system. It is not as cheap though.

I will most likely go with the inReach.

h2005

I think the plans are overpriced for what you get. Hopefully they will realize that also soon.

Last edited:

FusoFG

Adventurer
Anyone get one yet? I would like to hear some feedback. Just got a Spot in August and it worked well for what it does.
I've had one for a little more than 2 weeks. I bought it for long trips we take to western US, AK and Canada every summer and fall. I bought it now for testing and to work out any bugs.
I bought the Android version and use it with a Motorola Atrix 2. There is a version for use with a Delorme PN60w GPS that might be more appropiate if you don't already have a GPS or hike a lot. The unit works standalone as well.
After a couple of minor glitches that were handled quickly by Delorme tech support - I had an old version of the phone app and they made some changes to their web site - I think it works great.
The big plus for me vs SPOT is the reliable 2 way communication. I can send and receive email or text messages with anybody including another InReach unit from anywhere. And through a combination of LEDs or feedback from the phone app, you know that your messages reached the Iridium satellite system. Outbound messages to the unit are retried until received by the unit.
A Locate request can be sent from the web site and get back the location of the InReach unit in the field
Tracking works similar to SPOT but tracking can be started remotely from the web site as well as in the field on the unit. The interval can vary from 10 minutes to 4 hours and switches to 4 hours when you stop moving.
The SOS function is similar to SPOT but you can cancel an SOS call and you can use the 2 way messaging feature to communicate details of your emergency to SAR.
The phone app includes a world map plus you can download Topo maps of canada, usa and mexico to the phone for later viewing when you are beyond cell phone coverage. This feature is also available with the PN60w version but it also includes satellite and aerial photography to use in the field.
The unit is water proof, floats and seems more rugged than the first SPOT I saw.
Uses the Iridium 2 way satellite system vs the 1 way Globalstar satellite system.
The price is higher than SPOT, but the 2 way communication is worth it to me and the InReach is the cheapest of the units which use the Iridium satellite system.

We use (rarely) a Spot and to be honest we'd switch to the DeLorme if it was iPhone compatible... Not sure why they are ignoring that market, and hope that changes... If it does I will buy one. The two way messaging would be priceless for us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior